Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crohn's and Steroids

Options
  • 05-01-2017 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Arbie

I had my first consultation with the gastroenterologist I was referred to after having scopes which indicated IBD this morning. She informed me that to her it looked like Crohns Disease but she needs to do more scans before she can decide treatment. While she waits for the results of the scan and the bloods she's sending me for though she prescribed me Entocort starting with 9 a day.

I informed her that my wedding was just a few weeks away and that I wouldn't take anything that was going to cause a weight gain because I wouldn't be able to fit into my dress and its too late at this stage to get a new one. She assured me that it's a very mild steroid and that I wouldn't experience any weight gain.

When I went into the pharmacy to get the prescription though the pharmacist told me now you know this will cause weight gain right? Looking it up online I also saw everyone claiming these huge weight gains taking it though I don't know if they are exaggerated. I called the consultants receptionist back up and told her I wasn't taking any chances with my wedding only a few weeks away. She told me she would get back to me.

Does anyone have any experience with this steroid, did you experience any weight gain while taking it or any bloating etc.? I have no problem taking it I guess if it will make me better but I really can't risk a major weight gain before my wedding if my dress wont fit and if I look bloated in pictures. I'd rather wait till after if that was the case.

Entocort is a brand name for budesonide, which is a glucocorticoid steroid. Weight gain is a potential side effect of steroids. The amount of weight gained depends on the dose and the duration - the higher the dose and the longer the duration then the higher the risk of weight gain. Some people do not gain any weight while others gain a lot. We usually quote between 5% and 15% increase in weight over 2 years for the "average" patient. The weight gain is typically around the belly but can affect the face and elsewhere.

Your doctor can explain the pros/cons of delaying the treatment and may be able to offer an alternative medication. Best of luck.

Advertisement