Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbook Air or Macbook Pro

Options
  • 05-01-2017 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

I am looking to buy a Mac laptop.  It will mainly be used for iOS and Android development along with the usual web browsing, etc.  I was considering buying a Macbook Air as they are cheaper however I've been reading a bit more and it seems that Apple are not really going to be updating the Macbook Air anymore and are mostly going to be focusing on the Pro and that the Air is kind of out of date as such.

The main reason I'm thinking of the Macbook Pro is that it would be a slightly better spec, and have a Retina display as well.  However I'm not sure if it's worth the extra money, it looks to be about £450 more than the Air for a comparable with a 13" screen.  I considered the 15" Macbook Pro until I saw the price and it's way outside my budget.

Anyone here use the Macbook Air or Pro for development, how do you find it?  Is the Retina display make much difference?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Mac forum is here, mods can move it if you wish.

Are you an experienced developer or starting out? Dev on a 13" screen is't fun, I work on an 11" from time to time but its not a patch on a real display setup.

IMO you'd be much better off buying a refurbed last gen Pro 15" than trying to cram yourself into a new Air.

Retina will add sharpness to text but its of much less importance to dev work than it is to image editing & video work. Focus on a big display first.

Advertisement