Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I have no idea what to buy! Help please

Options
  • 05-01-2017 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,971 ✭✭✭✭

So I finally need to buy a new car (used), our trusty 2008 Kia Picanto is just too small for our needs.

Budget - €10k - €12k. I will more than likely be going to the UK to buy.

I had my heart set on a Passat CC but for the mileage we do I just couldn't justify a large diesel, it would be totally uneconomical and ruin the car.
    Only really doing 10k per year and its all city driving.

I would probably like a Saloon but I'm open to any suggestion.

Family going to be getting bigger so need to upgrade (just me the wife and 7 year old lad at the moment)

When I took the big diesels out of the equation, I cant think of anything really so needs to get the ideas going.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

You could look at a petrol Skoda Octavia or Superb. Both comfortable and spacious with a huge boot for the family

• Registered Users Posts: 17,971 ✭✭✭✭rob316

You could look at a petrol Skoda Octavia or Superb. Both comfortable and spacious with a huge boot for the family

Are they heavy on juice like and big tax? The picanto is only a 1 litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Aren't you doing tiny mileage? Who cares about mpg in that case?

Tax wouldn't be bad on a petrol. Tax Prob around €300

Like will I ruin a diesel on that mileage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

rob316 wrote: »
    Like will I ruin a diesel on that mileage?

Get the DPF and the EGR professionally deleted and you'll be laughing.

I don't believe that there is ANY offence that you can be charged with as a result.

It will pass NCT.
    It will use less fuel.
    It will emit less CO2.
    The Green Party will worship you as a Golden GOD.

What's not to like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

A petrol Passat cc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

A petrol Passat cc?

5e21bac1a15576bee70fd34380ad023a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 51,124 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP for someone who only does 10k miles per year you are very focused on mpg. It sounds to me like you want a bigger car but don't really want it to be less frugal than your 1.0 litre Picanto. I don't think any car the size of a Passat CC will return similar fuel consumption to your Picanto especially is mostly driven around town.

What you should be looking at is a hybrid, something like a Toyota Prius, Toyota Auris or Lexus CT200h. All pretty much the same running gear but these are designed with this type of driving in mind, they will return good fuel economy even with city driving but won't suffer from any potential diesel problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Prius ?

I wouldn't be worrying about mpg at that mileage (within reason). If mpg is an issue for you a hybrid or electric might suit you.

• Advertisement

Ya MPG isn't my biggest worry the tax on a 2l diesel vs a 2l petrol is my biggest concern.

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/14305838
    Skoda Octavia 1.6 Combi Tour

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/14063820
    Toyota Corolla 1.4 Terra CBU - 2008 FINANCE Avail

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/14248033
    Toyota Prius 1.8 Hybrid Auto 170 Road Tax

Some of these may be of interest to you

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Are they heavy on juice like and big tax? The picanto is only a 1 litre.

This is what is wrong with the irish motoring public, before anyone asks about reliability, comfort, power etc etc they want to know what the tax is. If its more than €400 they run away and look elsewhere despite the fact that they will have reduced initial cost price, reduced servicing costs and no possibility that the car will develop DPF, EGR or DMF problems. Makes total sense, not.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

the engines from 2008 on are taxed on Co2, the tax will be f**k all on most diesels or petrols, most wont be higher than E390 a year, i.e. nothing...

This is what is wrong with the irish motoring public, before anyone asks about reliability, comfort, power etc etc they want to know what the tax is. If its more than €400 they run away and look elsewhere despite the fact that they will have reduced initial cost price, reduced servicing costs and no possibility that the car will develop DPF, EGR or DMF problems. Makes total sense, not.

The better spec saloon cars are all diesel though from what I see, definitely in the UK anyway.

I'd love a diesel but I don't want to damage the car as my mileage is low.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Accord petrol. Nice car, Saloon, bigger and better in every way than a picanto. Not bad mpg either and reliable.

kay 9 wrote: »
    Accord petrol. Nice car, Saloon, bigger and better in every way than a picanto. Not bad mpg either and reliable.
    It's all relative, but a petrol accord will eat petrol compared to a picanto or most diesels.

If I had the OPs criteria, I'd be looking at a Lexus ct200h

• Registered Users Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Why love a diesel? You don,t need one so why would you want the expense and hassle of running one. Much better of getting yourself a 1.4 or 1.6 petrol Skoda Octavia which is a great car by the way or a Nissan Leaf or even a Renault Zoe.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It's all relative, but a petrol accord will eat petrol compared to a picanto or most diesels.

If I had the OPs criteria, I'd be looking at a Lexus ct200h

Would he really notice it doing such small mileage though. It goes without saying that they're thirstier than a picanto or nearly any diesel but I still wouldn't rate them as heavy on fuel.
    I have to second your choice on the lexus, considerably easier run. Is the service intervals and cost pretty normal on those?

Yeah, the hybrid bits don't need servicing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The better spec saloon cars are all diesel though from what I see, definitely in the UK anyway.

I'd love a diesel but I don't want to damage the car as my mileage is low.

Petrol cars are of equally high spec in the UK, in fact most people spec them higher because they initially cost less than their diesel counterpart.

Advertisement