Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Anyone making old number plate digits?

  • 04-01-2017 10:40pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 551 trevorbrady


    I'm on the lookout for a few old numberplate digits to complete a pair of plates. I want to replace the poxy pressed Euro plates on my '84 Jetta 2866 ZW. I have most of the digits but need some more to complete the set. Crucially, they're the 3.5" tall (circa 90mm) letters with the flat faces, not the earlier "peaked" ones.

    I've found any amount of suppliers in the UK selling complete plates using similar digits but only 3.25" tall (circa 80mm) and a few individuals selling single letters on ebay but they're the same 3.25" height digits.

    so is there anyone still making or supplying the old 3.5" tall digits? Or does anyone here have in their stash a pair of "W"s and four "6"s or "9"s. Which I'm presuming are the same actual item. If they're different, it's "6"s I'm after.

    I'm also looking for a blank pair of white and red long rectangular plates to put the digits on.

    pics cos everyone loves pics :)

    H_zpsngyydrvf.jpg
    vzh_zps0jtbxsws.jpg

    jettaballylinan_zpsb3kljxxc.jpg


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭ woejus


    http://www.acepeakplates.com/ do loads of colour variations
    Or
    http://www.jepsonclassicplates.com/ do nice classic ones silver and black


  • Registered Users Posts: 551 trevorbrady


    thanks for replying woejus but those aren't what I'm after at all.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭ woejus


    thanks for replying woejus but those aren't what I'm after at all.

    I think the ace peak plates site is run by a crowd down in Wexford who do the old style ones you have in the pic, give them a call and see tomorrow


  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭ Eireplates


    Hi Trevor drop me an email and I'll put you in touch with someone who may be able to help.


  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭ macplaxton


    As far as I'm aware black plastic 3½" digits aren't around new, so what's about will be NOS or used.

    Last plate I had done with plastic digits were 3½" white digits painted black. (3½" being the pre-1963 UK height).

    6542667675_388eaaec50_z.jpg
    DSCF4138.JPG by macplaxton, on Flickr

    These were done by Paul MacNaughton http://autojumbler.ie/

    The two plates done before that were 3½" cast aluminium digits that were enamelled black.

    Those very flat profile digits pictured look similar to Jepson ones.
    il_570xN.826929870_9d1f.jpg


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭ hi5




  • Registered Users Posts: 551 trevorbrady


    thanks Hi5, I'm emailed them :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 rebel.ranter


    Hey Trevor, long time no speak. Have you contacted Trevor at Eireplates?

    http://www.eireplates.com/plasticdigitsamples.asp


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,170 ✭✭✭ w124man


    Red reflective material can be had from any sign making company. No need to go to the states for it!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭ duskyjoe


    Wow, 2866 ZW! My old Jetta , a blue 1984 I think 1.6 petrol was 4866 ZW bought from Ballsbridge motors. Think it's gone to scrappers now.


  • Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭ MrRolex


    macplaxton wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware black plastic 3½" digits aren't around new, so what's about will be NOS or used.

    Last plate I had done with plastic digits were 3½" white digits painted black. (3½" being the pre-1963 UK height).

    6542667675_388eaaec50_z.jpg
    DSCF4138.JPG by macplaxton, on Flickr

    These were done by Paul MacNaughton http://autojumbler.ie/

    The two plates done before that were 3½" cast aluminium digits that were enamelled black.

    Those very flat profile digits pictured look similar to Jepson ones.
    il_570xN.826929870_9d1f.jpg

    I love the look of the raised digits on the red plates.
    Would they be NCT legal if on a ZV 1984 car?
    Or would it have to be pre-'80?
    I think ZV reg's on classics look so much better with the raised digits rather than flat reflective plates.


  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭ Eireplates


    MrRolex wrote: »
    I love the look of the raised digits on the red plates.
    Would they be NCT legal if on a ZV 1984 car?
    Or would it have to be pre-'80?
    I think ZV reg's on classics look so much better with the raised digits rather than flat reflective plates.

    They were originally on cars until Dec 31st 1986 when we then switched to white plates front and rear. In theory you can get away with them up to a 1990 registration as the euro plates came in on Jan 1st 1991.

    So yes you can put them on a 84 car.


  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭ macplaxton


    MrRolex wrote: »
    Would they be NCT legal if on a ZV 1984 car?

    Yes, any ZV issue only has to comply with the 1982 registration plate regs.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭ MrRolex


    Eireplates wrote: »
    They were originally on cars until Dec 31st 1986 when we then switched to white plates front and rear. In theory you can get away with them up to a 1990 registration as the euro plates came in on Jan 1st 1991.

    So yes you can put them on a 84 car.

    Thanks for the explanation.
    I am looking for a pre-'87 MK2 Golf at the moment so if its on ZV plates I will change it to the red with raised numerals then. My only concern was the NCT really, as I don't want the hassle of changing plates for it.
    Funnily enough today I saw a BMW 318i with a red plate on it, original Irish reg as well. But the funny thing was it looked '90 spec with the later E30 lights and bumpers. The owner must have updated it as it had the vintage 56 Euro tax disc.
    I think classics look great with a red rear plate. Much better than the modern plastic EU ones.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭ Silvera


    Red rear plates do look the part on pre-87 cars, but not on 1987-onwards vehicles.

    I needed to get red plates made up a few months ago for my recently-imported classic. I searched long-and-hard for the style of plate I required (perspex with garage name and logo along the bottom of each plate) and managed to convince these guys to start making red reflective plates! :)

    www.platecreator.com


Advertisement