Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Voucher Present in "Wrong" Currency

Options
  • 04-01-2017 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I received a USD dollar aer lingus voucher as a wedding present from someone in the USA and am unable to use it for flights departing from Dublin. I tried using them with Aer Lingus call centre in the USA and also using the USA site but nothing works. Aer Lingus say there is nothing they can do, the vouchers are non refundable. Has anyone had any success getting a currency change on their voucher so they can use them? Seems bizarre at best and completely useless at worst for an international airline and an Irish based semi state airline not to accept vouchers in different currencies issued in a different country. 
    Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I don't understand the issue.
    The terms of the voucher are clear. The voucher can be used for ex-US flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Maybe get the person who bought you the voucher to book the flights for you. It annoying alright

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

I assume the reason is because the voucher is in USD, I think you can try booking as separate trips, on the way over in EUR, the return as it's a single trip should default to USD so you might be able to use the voucher, but try booking the return 1st in case that doesn't work.

If you cannot do or don't want to do what was recommended by Miaireland maybe try to sell the voucher, but you might loose some of the value.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

kfitz007 wrote: »
    I received a USD dollar aer lingus voucher as a wedding present from someone in the USA and am unable to use it for flights departing from Dublin. I tried using them with Aer Lingus call centre in the USA and also using the USA site but nothing works. Aer Lingus say there is nothing they can do, the vouchers are non refundable. Has anyone had any success getting a currency change on their voucher so they can use them? Seems bizarre at best and completely useless at worst for an international airline and an Irish based semi state airline not to accept vouchers in different currencies issued in a different country. 
    Thanks

Aer Lingus aren't semi-state any more, the government sold their stake.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kfitz007

Thanks all. Apparently the departing flight has to be from the USA, so yes, I'd have to book two single trips, say one to NYC and one to Dublin from NYC. It's just frustrating because we want to travel within Europe, not to the USA.  Will wait and see what Aer Lingus responds.

• Advertisement
Advertisement