Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jayop's quitting thread

• 04-01-2017 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭

Copying Sporina's thread because I think the idea of having a thread going in public will make it harder to start again.

A bit of background, I'm in my mid 30's and have smoked since I was about 11 years old. Generally 10/15 a day but double that if I'm having a drink at the weekend. I did go off them for about a year and a half starting exactly 5 years ago but fell into the trap of thinking I was completely rid of them and started having the odd one with a drink which developed into full blooded smoking again. That time I had read the Alan Carr book and I found it amazing but I tried it again since but had no joy.

Anyway, I've had a head cold for a week now and rather than improve it's been getting worse and worse and I blame the smokes. I had 3 left this morning in the box and I made a snap decision when I was in getting petrol not to buy more. I stretched those 3 out and just had the last one there half an hour ago,.

That's it. No more of those stupid pay for cancer sticks for me. It's an idiotic habit and I feel like a moron pretty much every time I light one. Zero pleasure from it either for a long long time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I'm fairly similar to you, I'm mid 30s, smoking since I was around 13, I have quit before once or twice also, a bit like yourself , I did enjoy having one or two when having a drink and then I'm back smoking again...

My mother, partner and Stepdad are on ecigs the last 3 year's and my mother gave me one for Xmas, I've been gradually trying to get used to it over the Xmas and fully went on it from Tuesday...

I am aware I am replacing like for like, but it's the only little bit of help I am going to use, if I get addicted to it than that's fine, I'd rather that be going into me than a cigarette...

Hope you are doing well, my craving seems to be hitting me really bad today so everytime I think of having a smoke (after meals are worst!) I take out the pen and have a few puff's off it...

Best of luck with yours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

The very best of luck to you too dude. I tried an ecig last year but didn't like it. Some people are having great success with them though so don't give up!

Day 2 now and so far so good.

22 hours and really feeling crappy here. Not giving up though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Ecigs are coming on in leaps and bounds every day and it might be worth having a look at them again. I couldn't use them when I first tried but I'm off over a year with one now.

Naturally, if you can do it without you'd be better off though.

Yeah I'll see how I get on now and I'm fairly determined to succeed and the last time I felt like this I did manage a few years.

Well done on a year though!

• Advertisement

Jayop wrote: »
    Yeah I'll see how I get on now and I'm fairly determined to succeed and the last time I felt like this I did manage a few years.

Well done on a year though!

Maybe try a menthol flavour or something, I got one of the smoke green ones, I didn't actually like the tobacco tasting one, but the minty one is fine...

Think it was 15 quid with 2 cartridge things...

Two nights done. Feel grand now but the last few hours in work last night were brutal.

Just gone 46 hours and still not a drag had. The funny thing is that most of the time I'm absolutely fine then I'll go though about an hour or so of really struggling.

The car and the office is easily the hardest for me. I didn't smoke as much at home as I'd go outside but in work there's always someone going for one and asking do you want to come so the habit is stronger there. The car was bad too, as you say, as soon as the seat-belt clicks the next instinct is to roll the drivers window down an inch and spark up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭tempura

Keep going , I'm just over a year off them. I started putting a tenner away everyday when I started and lodged it to a credit union account at the end of each week . I now have 3400 , that is money that I would have burned ! Going on a holiday this year with that. We all know the health benefits etc , but , 3400 on fags , mental . Never going back to that .

I was out last night and after a few beers I had a couple of smokes that I bummed from a mate. No inclination at all today to smoke though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭secman

Hopefully this time will last longer than the last effort. Really hope you succeed , next time you have a weak moment open up your original post and read it out loud, hopefully it will help you

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I was out last night and after a few beers I had a couple of smokes that I bummed from a mate. No inclination at all today to smoke though.

I'm just starting off on my second proper attempt to give up. Smoking while drinking is something I really need to avoid.

I was off them (completely)previously, and after 3 years or so, I started having a couple while having a few drinks. Similar to yourself, I had no want at all the following day to smoke, which I thought was fantastic. I had found the happy medium.

Needless to say, slowly I started having "just the one" the following morning to ease the hangover, and before I knew it, I was having "just the one" to give me a treat on a Monday morning..

That was about two years ago, so giving it another bash now.

Best of luck to you too!

EDIT:

Have just had a read of your OP, and you were the exact same as me with the drinking smokes! Don't let it happen again ;)
    fell into the trap of thinking I was completely rid of them and started having the odd one with a drink which developed into full blooded smoking again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Im on day two of quitting a 20 a day habit. Using an ecig. It isnt easy. Best of luck OP.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Im on day two of quitting a 20 a day habit. Using an ecig. It isnt easy. Best of luck OP.

And yourself too. Feel free to update us on your progress in here!

The pub was so hard for me too. I would be happy enough with the ecig at home having a few bottles but I always felt like a right dick with it in the smoking area of the pub so I'd buy fags even if I knew I was heading to the pub. Only way round it is that I don't head out any more and just have the few at home.

I'd had a few at home on Friday and Saturday with no big problem and it was in the pub that I broke. It's a mental thing with me now going out, I feel like I'll not make it through the night without smoking so I'll just give in to it really quickly. I think I need a few weeks out of the bar.

I was on the e-cig during the week for the last few months, and would have no bother without a cigarette all week long.

Come Friday evening and a few beers and the e-cig went in the drawer until Monday. Similar to yourself, I could never bring myself to using it in front of anyone except my girlfriend. Just felt stupid, but not sure why.

Anyway, I'm on day two off both and going well so far!

Best of luck all

• Registered Users Posts: 18 liketochat

I "Quit" smoking in November - 
    Unfortunately my husband smokes and occasionally leaves opened packets of cigarettes around the house,....One evening i took a cigarette and the following day i smoked it...it was as always disgusting but never the less i smoked it....since Nov 16 i smoked  24cigarettes and feel terrible.
    No one knows and everyone says how wonderful i am doing but i am a fake....also i know i am making everything so much harder for myself as i need to restart over and over again...
    i NEED to stop smoking as well as really wanting too....i found i am not sleeping lately because i feel so guilty.
    i feel really disappointed but am determined to stop again.....they are the most addictive disguesting things.....amazing how the mind tricks you into smoking again....i cant express how bad i feel so if you can encourage me in anyway as i would really appreciate it,,,my  husband is cutting down and plans to stop in Feb ..i fear if i tell him he wont bother....he smokes alot more than i ever did....
    i am giving myself a sincere kick up the ass for been ridiculous.....not i search support through this medium.

• Advertisement

liketochat wrote: »
    Unfortunately my husband smokes and occasionally leaves opened packets of cigarettes around the house,....One evening i took a cigarette and the following day i smoked it...it was as always disgusting but never the less i smoked it....since Nov 16 i smoked  24cigarettes and feel terrible.
    No one knows and everyone says how wonderful i am doing but i am a fake....also i know i am making everything so much harder for myself as i need to restart over and over again...
    i NEED to stop smoking as well as really wanting too....i found i am not sleeping lately because i feel so guilty.
    i feel really disappointed but am determined to stop again.....they are the most addictive disguesting things.....amazing how the mind tricks you into smoking again....i cant express how bad i feel so if you can encourage me in anyway as i would really appreciate it,,,my  husband is cutting down and plans to stop in Feb ..i fear if i tell him he wont bother....he smokes alot more than i ever did....
    i am giving myself a sincere kick up the ass for been ridiculous.....not i search support through this medium.

Have you tried reading the Alan Carr book? You sound like an ideal candidate for it to work on.

Im on day 10 off the cigs and using an ecig. Im lucky that my wife doesn't smoke but I literally spent the first 5 days staying in the house so as not to be tempted to drop into a shop and buy some. Luckily I work from home a lot. Even with the ecig, I'm finding it very hard. I could equate it to a heroin addict on methadone- its not quite the same. I've overcome my first temptation to buy a pack while out and about and I was planning on smoking a few and not telling my wife. Then I thought, no I'd be fooling myself aswell. But it took a lot of willpower to say no, despite my mind making all kinds of stupid excuses.

Two nights ago I got a great boost to keep at it. While tucking my daughter into bed, she told me its great that I didn't smell of smoke anymore. Even today I had some work related stress and I thought thats it gonna buy a pack. But I perservered with the ecig and left the shop with no cigs. Ive saved 100 euro so far. My morning cough and wheezing is disappearing. My breath is fresher. Im appreciating the taste of food a lot more. I keep repeating these positives to myself. I wish you the best. It isn't easy and this is the last place you will be judged.

You're definitely prolonging the cravings etc by keeping a little bit of nicotine topped up. The lesser amount of nicotine in your system, the bigger the craving.

I'm also lucky that my girlfriend isn't a smoker either, so didn't have that temptation. Can't blame you in fairness if the things are lying around.

I'm haven't had either the e-cig or normal cig in a week. Feeling good now. Day two was tremendously difficult to fight off the cravings. Also found yesterday tough for some reason.

You need to really want to do it, and your husband trying to give up will help you stay off them, if you both really want to.

Best of luck!

_feedback_ wrote: »
    You're definitely prolonging the cravings etc by keeping a little bit of nicotine topped up. The lesser amount of nicotine in your system, the bigger the craving.

I'm also lucky that my girlfriend isn't a smoker either, so didn't have that temptation. Can't blame you in fairness if the things are lying around.

I'm haven't had either the e-cig or normal cig in a week. Feeling good now. Day two was tremendously difficult to fight off the cravings. Also found yesterday tough for some reason.

You need to really want to do it, and your husband trying to give up will help you stay off them, if you both really want to.

Best of luck!

You are cold turkey now. Well done and best of luck.

How's the OP doing?

Hanging in there for now. Close calls a plenty though.

Hanging in there for now. Close calls a plenty though.

Same here. Its day to day with me.

I was away last week in Barcelona and drinking of course a few of the night's, my mate had a smoke, I took it off him, had about 3 drags, got lightheaded, found it rank and gave it back to him...

Oddly enough I'm not using the ECig that much anymore, a few puffs a day at different times, if I can kick that entirely also I'll be very happy...

Other than my wee slip up I seem to be going good, any time I thought of a cigarette I try thinking of my new nephew, and how I want to see him grow up, it's kind of the little motivation in my head I use...

I'm just over the two weeks now.. Finding it quite easy the majority of the time

On Friday I was out for a couple of drinks and had an overwhelming craving. I needed to go to the ATM, so decided to walk down (5 mins) and I planned to buy a pack of cigarettes in the shop next door to the ATM.

Luckily the shop was closed, and on the walk back to the pub I was able to convince myself that I didn't need it.

Was really really relieved the next morning, but dangerously close!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 liketochat

well done you.....i am now 8 days smoke free....and i feel good....its one of the hardest things i have ever done...i did slip up since November but i think i needed to do that to prove to myself that i cannot be a "part-time" smoker its all or nothing. This is the most positive i have felt...I actually cried last Tuesday driving home from work,,, with the feeling i would never be free and i would eventually get really ill...but 8 days later i am feeling good...i think back to me crying (My Low) and that has stopped me smoking...i had a few drinks last Sat and Sunday night and really enjoyed them with no smoking...i think it helped when i admitted i slipped up on this forum ..this time i know i cant go back as its just too dame hard.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement