Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scared

Options
  • 03-01-2017 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

What will. I do with my time as I off work for 6 months?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭gifted

Real life issues there my friend.....any chance you could elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

I understand you are off work sick and planning to be off for 6 months?
    What is your illness? We will need to know as it might be something that limits you in some way?
    What are you scared of?
    The quality of the answers that you will receive depends on the quality of the information that you provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Learn something. A language. A trade or craft.
    Or something related to work so you return better than before. Don't let yourself fester.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Berna2017

I was diagnosed with MS in Dec 16

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Berna2017 wrote: »
    I was diagnosed with MS in Dec 16

That is very scary indeed. Your absolutely right to be scared.
    But MS treatment is so advanced now it's nothing like it used to be,
    My brother in law is 5 years diagnosed
    He's got married
    He goes to work every day
    Yes there's a few bad days, but it's good.
    Have you got close friends and family?

• Advertisement

Yes I have a husband, family and close friends. They are in denial.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Leogirl

I'm more than 10 years diagnosed and have had one relapse since. I continued to work as usual and I've had a baby. If you need to take 6 months off then I guess you must be mid relapse? If so then just use the time to rest and get better. MS can take it out of you and recovering from relapses takes time and strength. Do you have relapse/remit MS?

Yes I have a husband, family and close friends. They are in denial.

I don't understand how they can be in denial.
    You have a diagnosis of MS and your entire circle chooses not to accept that?
    Do they all think that the doctors are wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

I agree with Benjamin, give yourself a project. I knit as a hobby and it is very relaxing - but productive as well. I listen to documentaries as I knit and while I am creating something new, I am also learning.
    Anything to do with crafts would be good if you are interested in them, as you would be working towards something. Cake decorating is a useful skill, or woodwork if you are a really practical type.
    Or maybe improve a skill - cookery or baking, or something you loved doing as a teenager.
    If you are a reader you could make a list of books you have always wanted to read but never had time for. Same with classic movies.

Yes I have relapsing remitting, I relapsed in October due I realise to stress. I feel perfectly fine but the doctor etc advised me to stay off and I've never been this long off work in years and I'm scared as I feel I've no identity.

• Advertisement

Yes I have relapsing remitting, I relapsed in October due I realise to stress. I feel perfectly fine but the doctor etc advised me to stay off and I've never been this long off work in years and I'm scared as I feel I've no identity.

You are still you Berna. Your you just with a long term illness.
    I'd be someone as well who would define myself through my job.
    It's who I am and I'd hate to have to retire.
    Talk to your GP. Tell him/her how your feeling.
    Set a date with him/her to return to employment and work with the GP to achieve that goal,

I've been off for over a year (maternity leave then cancer) and I can totally understand that feeling- I'm itching to get back to work.

Are you still mid relapse? Is the stress work related? Perhaps chat to your neurologist about taking 6 months off. If you're on the mend and you feel up to work sooner then it might actually be better. I know I went back as soon as I could the first relapse and it was a bad one- I was 6 weeks in hospital. But once I started to remit it all got better soon enough. If i stayed off I'd have gone crackers.

Weird thing about relapse/remit MS-.you've a serious illness but feel absolutely fine most of the time. It's not like having a flu and taking a few days off!! :-) you feel like you're skiving.

And I am sorry you've had this diagnosis. It must have been tough especially this time of year.

I hope your partner and family come to terms with it soon. Everyone needs to adjust to a different way of life now. Things like avoiding stress, infection, tiredness, overheating etc and medication- these are things ye all need to learn. It soon becomes second nature though.

There is an MS thread on long term illness forum...worth looking at especially in these early days. X

Advertisement