Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting US citizen to live and work in Ireland

Options
  • 03-01-2017 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

So I met an American girl in Dublin at the start of the summer this year. She had to go back to NY very soon after but we hit it off and stayed in touch constantly after she left. I have already been over to meet her family and it has basically became very serious.

We have been flying back and forward to see each other every couple of months but that is not sustainable for us. We want to be together and due to me having a well paying job here at the moment it seems getting her here would be the best way to do it except from looking into this it seems it is quite difficult to get a US citizen to live and work here.

I have looked this up a lot and can't see any definite paths we can take. If anyone has any helpful information on how to get here to live and work that would really be appreciated. She is going to be here next month for a few weeks so are there even any institutions or government bodies we could meet with during that time that could talk us through possible options?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Getting engaged would make your position a lot more tenable - plus whatever you're being paid in Dublin you can easily double or triple in NYC if you were thusly inclined.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 various

We have discussed getting married in order to make being together possible (we have already agreed that we would end up doing it at some point anyway). But how would just being engaged work in our favor? Also does being married to me instantly give her the right to work here?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

A friend in a similar situation (but they were further down the line, and were already married) came asking around if anyone had any "date verifiable" photos of them to help back up the application.

It was pre-Facebook days, but they were looking for photos of them being a couple at events you could put a definite date on (Mary Kate's 30th birthday party, John Joe's christening). I know I'm pretty anti-photos, but every time either of you visit each other and are out with other people, make sure you get a few pics of the two of you together to have to hand in case they're looked for later.

Advertisement