Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electronics shop/expert to check out amp etc

• 03-01-2017 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,183 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, have inherited a record player and amp, but amp does not seem to be working. Does anyone know a shop or electronic s expert who couhld check it out? Anywhere between Sligo and Dublin, north of Athlone.
    The sertup is an AKAI AP100c turntable, and an AKAI AM-A1 amp.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

What are the symptoms ? Does it power on ?

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 11,183 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Hi, everything seems to power up, but all you can hear is the actual sound coming off the stylus in the groove.

Apologies for the silly question but have you connected the turntable to the proper input ?
    Are the equaliser plugs at the rear bridged ? They should look like this:

Akai%20AM-A1%20b.jpg

Ken

UR8xdMF.jpg

This is it. (I know there is only one speaker wired up in the picture!)

All looks right. What about the headphone socket ? Any output there ? Have you tried all the speaker connectors ?

I can't find a clear picture of the front of the amp so not sure if ant of this applies, is there a speaker selector switch? Is Tape monitor turned on ? Have you tried any of the other inputs with a relevant source ?

It could be blown fuses in the speaker output circuits or even a corroded relay contact but best to eliminate all the obvious things before delving into the innards of the amp.

Ken

• Advertisement

A bit of progress! For some strange reason there is now out-put from the amp to the speakers!
    Terrible background noise, kind of a "boom", but then I realised that there is an earth wire needs attaching to the amp. This eliminated all the noise.
    Now the stylus is skating over the vinyl, but it turns out it is damaged, and I need a new one to slot onto the head.

Advertisement