Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toshiba Satellite not turning on

Options
  • 03-01-2017 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I was fixing a laptop for a friend recently now the dc power jack was broken so i replaced it and everything was fine.
    3 days later he rang me up saying the laptop wasn't charging or turning on so i took it apart again thinking i had nicked the dc jack cable but i didn't ,so i thought the dc jack cable was faulty so i ordered another one.
    It came a week later i replaced again but still not a smock out of it.
    i tried taking the battery out a cable holding start button to drain any power but nothing.
    Anyone have any idea what could be up.

Sorry its a Toshiba Satellite C855-17Q

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Bit of a stretch, but did you check other hardware? I've had instances where a stick of RAM wouldn't let me turn on a laptop and replacing / reseating it worked. (So, rule out that, HDD, Disk Drive, cmos, etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 scottishriver2

ye i took out both sticks of ram replaced the cmos battery and tested the hdd on another laptop it was fine and tried starting up without disc drive still nothing thanks
    i meant to say with the charger plugged in there is no lights what so ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

ye thanks i seen that thread tried everything nothing worked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

have you checked the charger, do a continuity test on it. For the 3 days your friend had it he may have damaged the charger cable.

• Advertisement

Laptop saying it is charging but isnt.
    changed dc jack twice so its not that.
    battery tested in another laptop its fine and so its not the charger.
    only other option is its a faulty motherboard but if it was faulty y would it show its charging when its not thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

You say you have a second laptop, did you try the charger on it ?

If a Dell machine can't identify its Dell charger it stops charging the battery and throttles the CPU performance to protect it. Occasionally a genuine charger will go faulty and no longer identify itself, the symptoms are very similar to what you describe.

Ken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 scottishriver

ZENER wrote: »
    You say you have a second laptop, did you try the charger on it ?

If a Dell machine can't identify its Dell charger it stops charging the battery and throttles the CPU performance to protect it. Occasionally a genuine charger will go faulty and no longer identify itself, the symptoms are very similar to what you describe.

Ken

I have 2 chargers 1 a toshiba charger and 1 a universal charger both charge the battery in the other laptop but not in the laptop I'm trying to fix

Advertisement