Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a GPS watch

Options
  • 03-01-2017 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

Evening all,

I've put up a new thread about running shoes, so I might as well go whole hog.

I'm curious as to if anyone has any recommendations for a good GPS watch/band for running.

A few things I'd consider important:

Accuracy: doesn't have to be ridiculously accurate, but at least consistent and within reason compared to reality.

Comfort: so long as it doesn't bring pain or general discomfort I'm ok with it.

Features: not mad on things like sleep tracking and all that jazz. What would be useful would be some sort of way to trace how the current run compares to PB or previous run, or programmed run. A nice colour screen and easy to use would be great.

Battery life: reliable and midrange at least

Exportable: important to be able to get the data into excel or whatever.

App: nice to have.

Budget: not a clue on this, but would be willing to spend the necessary for good value.

Anyone any suggestions or thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

ligerdub wrote: »
    Evening all,

I've put up a new thread about running shoes, so I might as well go whole hog.

I'm curious as to if anyone has any recommendations for a good GPS watch/band for running.

As with most things in life, The Sweethome's recommendations are worth following:
    http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-running-watch/

I have their previous recommendation (Garmin Forerunner 225). I don't really use the watch UI for much, and use my phone to automatically upload to Garmin Connect and Strava for analysis etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Seconded. I've had the 225 for over a year and couldn't fault it. I also just Bluetooth everything straight to the phone and on to Strava though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Great stuff, thanks folks.

The 225 looks to be the winner here, certainly in terms of value so I'll go with that (if I can find a good deal on one).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Great stuff, thanks folks.

The 225 looks to be the winner here, certainly in terms of value so I'll go with that (if I can find a good deal on one).

Your better off going for the 235, its the latest release so you get the latest stuff. No connect IQ for the 225.

230 is also a new version of 225.

I have the 220 which is an older version of 225, ie heart rate monitor is a strap and not on the wrist. Good watch but i will move up to 235 at some stage this year.

Your better off going for the 235, its the latest release so you get the latest stuff. No connect IQ for the 225.

230 is also a new version of 225.

I have the 220 which is an older version of 225, ie heart rate monitor is a strap and not on the wrist. Good watch but i will move up to 235 at some stage this year.

Thanks.

This site looks to be the best value for the range.

http://www.fitnessdigital.ie/garmin-forerunner-230-black-white-heart-rate-monitor-optional/p/10008016/

I'm not going to wear a HR monitor on my chest so I'll go for the wrist version if that becomes a dealbreaker for me.

Basically if I want a HR monitor on the wrist, and app data then I go for the 235?

If I don't want a HR monitor go for the 230?

And if I want need the app go for the 225?

• Advertisement

Thanks.

This site looks to be the best value for the range.

http://www.fitnessdigital.ie/garmin-forerunner-230-black-white-heart-rate-monitor-optional/p/10008016/

I'm not going to wear a HR monitor on my chest so I'll go for the wrist version if that becomes a dealbreaker for me.

Basically if I want a HR monitor on the wrist, and app data then I go for the 235?

If I don't want a HR monitor go for the 230?

And if I want need the app go for the 225?

I hope this link works for you

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/catalog/product/compareResult.ep?compareProduct=523893&compareProduct=529988

Basically you can compare the watches on garmin.com. They don't have the 220 or 225 on it, might not be for sale on their website anymore.

You can get some deals on 235 here:
    http://satnav-discounts.co.uk/gb/product/garmin-forerunner-235/

Hope the links work for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

The Polarflow M400 is very popular and with heart rate band is about 150 quid.
    Easy to use and download to the laptop is easy and the run history is very clear.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 489 ✭✭AngryDiMaria

Go for the 230 or 235 depending on whether you want the HR monitor. I got the 235 recently and I would highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

I'm still dubious about optical HR; I'd love it to work as I like to have accurate HR reading for training paces. If the Forerunner 235 HR is close to 95% accurate, I think I'd go for it.

Have any of you 235 owners transitioned from the chest strap for training by HR?

I hope this link works for you

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/catalog/product/compareResult.ep?compareProduct=523893&compareProduct=529988

Basically you can compare the watches on garmin.com. They don't have the 220 or 225 on it, might not be for sale on their website anymore.

You can get some deals on 235 here:
    http://satnav-discounts.co.uk/gb/product/garmin-forerunner-235/

Hope the links work for you.

Thanks a lot for that. The cheapest options are UK based, I was able to find one via Wiggle (with a £10 discount) for €254 total price.

This is in the region of €70-€100 cheaper than the vast majority of Irish based offers.

I'm going to pull the trigger on it. I assume there's nothing I should be wary of here?

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot for that. The cheapest options are UK based, I was able to find one via Wiggle (with a £10 discount) for €254 total price.

This is in the region of €70-€100 cheaper than the vast majority of Irish based offers.

I'm going to pull the trigger on it. I assume there's nothing I should be wary of here?

They are good, but amazon seems cheaper. Irish shops will always be dearer.

I went with the 235 in the end, primarily because I was able to get it for cheaper than most of the offers I could see for the 225, and the 630 was probably a tad bit out of my price range.

I got it for €250 in the end, which is pretty much the upper limit of what I was willing to spend. All things considered I figure it's a good deal.

Thanks a lot to everyone for their input, really appreciate it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 489 ✭✭AngryDiMaria

I went with the 235 in the end, primarily because I was able to get it for cheaper than most of the offers I could see for the 225, and the 630 was probably a tad bit out of my price range.

I got it for €250 in the end, which is pretty much the upper limit of what I was willing to spend. All things considered I figure it's a good deal.

That's a good deal. I got it for 240 on Amazon before Xmas. Enjoy your new toy :D

Happy running.

Advertisement