Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Barefoot Running Shoe (or otherwise)

Options
  • 03-01-2017 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

Evening all,

I ran quite a lot in 2016, so I'm looking for ways to improve in 2017. I've pretty much used cheap running shoes for the most part thus far.

I'm curious as to seeing if anybody had any recommendations regarding a good running shoe to break into a low drop or barefoot running shoe. Does anyone have any ideas? I've never tried it before, but I hear it's great in terms of improving your speed once you adjust.

Failing that, does anyone have any favourites regarding a fast general running shoe? Ideally without going into crazy budgetary requirements.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

ligerdub wrote: »
    Evening all,

I ran quite a lot in 2016, so I'm looking for ways to improve in 2017. I've pretty much used cheap running shoes for the most part thus far.

I'm curious as to seeing if anybody had any recommendations regarding a good running shoe to break into a low drop or barefoot running shoe. Does anyone have any ideas? I've never tried it before, but I hear it's great in terms of improving your speed once you adjust.

Failing that, does anyone have any favourites regarding a fast general running shoe? Ideally without going into crazy budgetary requirements.

Many thanks.

If your running in cheap shoes and your comfortably and relatively injury free stick to them. Magic shoes don't exist

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Go to a good running shop and get advice from someone who knows what they are talking about, and where you can try some shoes on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Thanks for the suggestions guys, will do just that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭RuMan

I changed into them, but it was a long transition. I only changed as I had recurring hip/knee issues and had been told not to run longer than 10k.

I've adapted to them now and have run marathons in them with no issue. They worked for me but it was a last resort in my case.

They can work for some people not everybody. If you don't have a problem then I wouldn't recommend using them as a solution.

Good stuff, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

Have a look at these guys, Champions Everywhere. I've done barefoot training with them and found them great. I'm by no means a good runner, (5k in 27 mins) but I enjoyed it and it works for me.
    They are doing a free talk in a few weeks which would give you a feel of them-
    http://www.championseverywhere.com/events/free-talk-minimalist-running-making-transition/

Interesting, I especially like the word "free" :D

Thanks for the link, that as well as the running technique session look like they could help a lot.

Free is always good, espicially in January!
    Vivobarefoot are the foot coverings of choice now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

With the very thin soles on these, how often do they need replacing in terms of distance ran as a guide?
    Which my never ending achilles issues i'm thinking of giving them a try.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

I haven't needed a new pair yet after 3ish years but I don't put great mileage on them at all, (102 parkruns, an indoor circuit to longer runs up to 18k a week if I sign myself up for something, like a half or a few 10k's etc)
    If you go to that talk Rene and Jason from championseverywhere would give you idea as they wear them pretty much all the time!

• Advertisement

I usually get them from sportsshoes.com or sometimes them
    come up on sport pursuit site

Advertisement