Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powering my LED light

Options
  • 03-01-2017 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hello. I am building two light panels with LED strip and having issues getting one piece of info.
    What kind/how much power do I need? (plugging into the wall, not battery)

The LED Roll (5 meters) is 24V DC - 19.2 Watts/Meter
    Making two lights - 1 meter used for light #1, 4 meters used for light #2.

Purchasing my power adapters off of amazon, there are many to choose from.
    I understand that I need them to be 24 Volts..
    The remaining factors are Watts and Amps, correct?

So far I have gotten advice from two different people on the matter.
    One person said that light #1 needs 24V 1Amp. And light #2 24V 3Amp power supply.
    &
    The other person told me that that wasn't enough Watts and Amps for each light. Stating that light #1 needs 1.2 Amps -and- light #2 needs 3.75 Amps. Also telling me that I should never supply the LEDs with less Amps and Watts but I am allowed to go over.

Thoughts? I would very much appreciate someones help. Sorry if i left out any info.. I have a limited knowledge and trying to learn this as best i can.

Johnny~

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Light 1, 1m: 19.2W @ 24V = 0.8A
    Light 2, 4m: 76.8W @ 24V = 3.2A

(Amps equals Watts divided by Volts)

These are the theoretical calculations only based on the figures you supplied. You need to go higher than the calculated figures to allow for any inefficiencies etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Be careful, one of the sparks on youtube has found chinese sellers are listing 240v LED strips as 24v. They won't illuminate at all at 24v if you happen to get such.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 JohnnyDien

Much appreciated friends!

I purchased the LED roll from an extremely reputable company called MOSS LED. They labeled the info on the packaging so easy peazy. I didn't want to mess around with cheap Chinese brands.

I understand that I need to go higher brightspark, but by how much? And at what point is too much.. is there a safe zone?

Thanks
    Johnny

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Again I stress this is just a guess without knowing the exact LEDs or power supplies involved but I'd add about 15-20% and pick the next size of power supply available.

Going bigger is unlikely to be any issue if the power supply is regulated.

I think that I will be getting one power supply that is 24V 1A and the other 24V 4A, sound right?

As far as the regulated power supply goes.. the description of the power supply I'm looking at says:
    "Type: Regulated switching power supply" - does that sound like what I need?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

JohnnyDien wrote:
    As far as the regulated power supply goes.. the description of the power supply I'm looking at says: "Type: Regulated switching power supply" - does that sound like what I need?

Yes ,
    Some of longer strips can trip some MCBs but try to get your supply to be 25 percent more than you think you need (the amps so if you need 4 amps get a 5 amp supply)

Thanks - would you say that 3A would be fine for my 0.8A needed LED light?

If someone could please answer my final question - is 3 Amp power supply ok to power a 0.8 Amp needed LED strip? or is it too much?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

It won't be too much as it's rated for 3 amps the strip should only use what it requires if that. I assume the PSU is fused internally anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

It doesn't force the current through it, you could power it with two car batteries in series which would be capable of supplying a couple hundred amps, but would only draw what's needed.

• Advertisement

Thanks so much guys! much appreciated

Advertisement