Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get a signal for multi room viewing in an apartment?

Options
  • 03-01-2017 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi,

I’m looking for some guidance about splitting a signal for multiroom viewing in my apartment.

So firstly I don’t know a lot about this so my post might be a bit vague and or confusing, so sorry about that :)

I live in an apartment with a shared satellite dish and we are only able to have sky tv. My main box is in the sitting room with two coax cables going into it. In the hall press there are two cables that come into a unit called Sat A and Sat B and these feed into a unit called Dish 1 and Dish 2. I have a splitter on the line that comes from Sat A into Dish 1 and it goes into another port called S2. S2 is in my bedroom and I have another sky box in there where I can either put my sky card into it or watch the freesat channels on it if I want. I don't have a multi room subscription with sky and I don't want to have to pay for one either.

It never really mattered before as I was the only person in the apartment so I would only watch one tv at a time. However now there are more of us here and we want to be able to watch tv in the sitting room, the main bedroom and also the second bedroom at the same time. I’m running into a few issues and I’m not sure who to go to for help or if I can buy something like another splitter.

So the first problem I have is that the signal is knocked off on the sitting room tv if I have the bedroom tv on and vice versa, whichever is on first has all the power. I presume this is because I am using the same signal via the splitter to have the tv in the sitting room and bedroom one. So how can I fix this?

The second problem is I can’t seem to get any signal into the second bedroom. It has a port in the bedroom called S1 and there is a port in the hall press with the same name, just like my bedroom. I have tried splitting, the split line so I have an additional cable to into that port, I have tried splitting the other cable Sat B to dish 2 just like my sitting room and bedroom one. I have tried a multiswitch and that knocked off everything.

Do I need to some how get another line in from the basement of the development ( or wherever it comes from) or is that even a possibility? Are you only allowed have two lines? Is there some other kind of splitter I need to buy? Would a tv instillation person be able to sort it out?

The unit in the hall and each of the rooms are all fitted with ports for satellite tv and an aerial port but I just don’t know how to activate them all. It seems odd that the apartment looks to be set up for watching tv in each of the rooms but how or who can fix it.

Any advice would be really appreciated. Many thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

You're wasting your time with splitters, you'll need more feeds from the distribution point.

What kind of cable is feeding the unit with the dish 1 & 2 connections? Are you sure it only has 2 dish connections?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Rowrow

Thanks for the reply Thurston?

I'm not sure exactly what type of cable it looks just like a coax cable but I could be wrong. I've uploaded a couple of images of the box in the hall. The first plate looks like it can accomodate two more lines in but I can't get the black caps off and I have no idea if there is anything underneath it.

zEjHmN.jpgmd182f.jpgtXKeGt.jpg

Right, a bit of a job to make head or tail of that, but I don't think there's a fibre feed from the dish anyway, with the unit to convert it into 4 'universal' LNB feeds.

Dish 1 & 2 must be on the white plate, & there'd just be 2 coax. cables behind it supplying them? So you won't find any more feeds within the apartment itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Have to agree with Thurston, it looks a bit of a mess. Normally we complain about pictures posted here being too large but in this case they're too small to decipherer. Can you attach larger pics as a jpeg or pdf showing the text on those units?

The question is how many feeds do you have to the apartment from the dish or central multiswitch? If you not using SkyQ then each cable from the dish can only feed a single tuner on a standard Sky receiver, these cables cannot be split.

Some apartments are only fitted with a single cable, some have 2, other use a standard called SCR (single cable routing) which allows a number of tuners to be connected via a single cable. To do what you want to do i.e. feed at least 4 sat TV points, you will require 4 cables to the apartment from the dish or central multiswitch.

How does that F140 distribution amp fit into the system?
    What is that box in the middle picture?

Can you talk to the people who manage the block?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

That's a 'smarthomes' home hub.
    If I remember correctly, been a while since I worked on them,There was usually 3 Feeds into the white plate from the multi switch, numbered- sat 1,sat 2,sat 3 (aerial/dab)
    Sat 1 sat 2 sat 3 (aerial/dab) would be patched into the Main room wall plate (sat 1,sat 2,aerial,rf2 return.)
    Rf2 return patched back to the f140 which was patched to the relevant rooms for rf2 distribution.
    However The 3rd feed into the White plate (sat 3 aerial/dvb) could be used as an independent sat feed to another room or diaplexed to allow sat & Aerial options.
    If not using a sky or modulated stb in main room then aeriel (sat 3) feed was patched directly to the f140.
    There were any number of combinations that could be achieved, handy but expensive set up.
    This was all pre dso and I haven't seen one in about 6 years so my post mightn't be 100%.

• Advertisement

kbell wrote: »
    That's a 'smarthomes' home hub.
    If I remember correctly, been a while since I worked on them,There was usually 3 Feeds into the white plate from the multi switch, numbered- sat 1,sat 2,sat 3 (aerial/dab)

... However The 3rd feed into the White plate (sat 3 aerial/dvb) could be used as an independent sat feed to another room or diaplexed to allow sat & Aerial options. mightn't be 100%.

Don't know anything about these 'smarthomes' things myself, certainly if there's 3 sat. feeds, that's a bonus for the OP, though (just to let the OP know) all the feeds from the multiswitch would be carrying terrestrial services, & could be used to provide the terrestrial feed without running another cable.

All depends I suppose on how generous the installers were being with multiswitch outlets & cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

I've seen these set up with octo lnbs in houses and small apt blocks, all depends if the op is in a larger multi switched set up dwelling and if there's an aeriel installed within the set up too.
    If the building was sky homes certified then there has to be a minimum of 3 feeds per unit as that was sky's stipulation back in the day.

Advertisement