Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breeding programs for mixed breeds

Options
  • 03-01-2017 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,163 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there, Just wondering if there are breeding programs for non-pedigree dogs. I've a two and a half year old chiweenie male (Chihuahua dachshund mix) and am looking to breed from him as I've at least 4 people looking to take his pups. I've had a vet check him out for any genetic disorders normally associated with his associated breeds and he was bred by a vet not in a farm. In the case of a female it's not so hard, but seeing as how there's no clubs for his breed it's quite hard to find suitable females from him rather than just approaching strangers on the street. Any avenues to pursue?
    I've attached a picture for the curious

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Its not a breed, so no, there won't be any clubs.

When you say you've had a vet check him out for any genetic disorders, what do you mean, were xrays done and sent off to the BVA for scoring etc? Blood tests? Or just a general look over?

I know a vet that bred from her boxer without doing any genetic testing, the dog had a dreadful temperament, so I'm sorry but just because a vet breeds pups, does not make them a reputable, responsible breeder.

I am not against cross breeds per se, if there is a reason to do so, i.e., for certain working dogs but I see no point in you breeding your dog. You obviously love him, and I can understand if you would like a mini him, but it seems that you want to breed him to sell pups, rather than keep them. Responsible, reputable breeders do it to improve their breed, and if they don't keep at least one of the litter, then in my book, they aren't reputable.

Why do you want to breed him? What is it about him that makes you think he is worth breeding from? Are you willing to be responsible for his offspring for the rest of their lives, i.e., if the new owner's circumstances change, will you take the pups back, even if they are 7, 8, 9 years old? How would you feel if you didn't, and found out that they ended up in the pound, and were then put to sleep in there? Lots of people will say they want a pup from a certain dog until the time actually comes. If all 4 people that want one do take a pup, what will happen to the other 4 or 5 that will probably also be in the litter?

I'm not attacking you, when I got my first husky, I intended to breed from her, even got her hips xrayed, eyes tested etc, thankfully the male dog that I also then got had a horrendous hip score and I didn't breed from them. Knowing what I now do, I'm really glad that his score was bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Have you thought about the 4, 5, 6+ dogs that will die because you breed your dog for money? That's the cold hard truth of puppy breeding which like it or not is actually what you're doing. It doesn't matter what fancy name you call him, he's a mixed breed-nothing wrong with that but no different to thousands of others in pounds and rescues all over the country desperately looking for homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,163 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

muddypaws wrote: »
    Its not a breed, so no, there won't be any clubs.

When you say you've had a vet check him out for any genetic disorders, what do you mean, were xrays done and sent off to the BVA for scoring etc? Blood tests? Or just a general look over?
    Xrayed for spinal defects and also checked over for hernia risk, both would be renowned for his parent breed issues [/QUOTE]
    I know a vet that bred from her boxer without doing any genetic testing, the dog had a dreadful temperament, so I'm sorry but just because a vet breeds pups, does not make them a reputable, responsible breeder.
    She's bred from his mother before (he was the last of her litter) and a few mates have his older siblings.
    I am not against cross breeds per se, if there is a reason to do so, i.e., for certain working dogs but I see no point in you breeding your dog. You obviously love him, and I can understand if you would like a mini him, but it seems that you want to breed him to sell pups, rather than keep them. Responsible, reputable breeders do it to improve their breed, and if they don't keep at least one of the litter, then in my book, they aren't reputable.

Why do you want to breed him? What is it about him that makes you think he is worth breeding from? Are you willing to be responsible for his offspring for the rest of their lives, i.e., if the new owner's circumstances change, will you take the pups back, even if they are 7, 8, 9 years old? How would you feel if you didn't, and found out that they ended up in the pound, and were then put to sleep in there?
    I would like to as he's got a fantastic temperament and I would like to hold on to one of his bloodline to continue his lineage as my own personal reasons.
    I'd have no issue taking them back if they're pups from people who have already expressed an interest.
    I'm not attacking you, when I got my first husky, I intended to breed from her, even got her hips xrayed, eyes tested etc, thankfully the male dog that I also then got had a horrendous hip score and I didn't breed from them. Knowing what I now do, I'm really glad that his score was bad.
    Well like I said he's in full health and want to have his son (or daughter) around as company as he's a very sociable dog, as well as make my friends happy to have one of their own

Have you thought about the 4, 5, 6+ dogs that will die because you breed your dog for money? That's the cold hard truth of puppy breeding which like it or not is actually what you're doing. It doesn't matter what fancy name you call him, he's a mixed breed-nothing wrong with that but no different to thousands of others in pounds and rescues all over the country desperately looking for homes.

I never said I was doing it for money, I am doing it as people have expressed an interested in owning his offspring.
    I have worked in pounds and vet clinics in my past, as well as having bred pedigree dogs so would have first hand knowledge of what goes on there and unless you've something constructive to add I suggest you leave you pot banging to one side thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Just seems so silly to go out of the way to breed mongrels when there are literally thousands of them waiting for homes in pounds/rescues across the country. I'd encourage the people that you have interested to go to their local rescue/shelter and see if they can find a suitable dog there first.

• Advertisement

Just seems so silly to go out of the way to breed mongrels when there are literally thousands of them waiting for homes in pounds/rescues across the country. I'd encourage the people that you have interested to go to their local rescue/shelter and see if they can find a suitable dog there first.

Well using that logic then why should any pedigree dogs be bred? Like I said the people whom have expressed an interest in taking his pups and even though I have said to them to check out the pounds and shelters, they want to take his offspring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

duploelabs wrote: »
    I never said I was doing it for money, I am doing it as people have expressed an interested in owning his offspring.
    I have worked in pounds and vet clinics in my past, as well as having bred pedigree dogs so would have first hand knowledge of what goes on there and unless you've something constructive to add I suggest you leave you pot banging to one side thanks.

Sorry, I didn't intend to come across as pot banging. Too much time working in rescue I think!!

You mentioned you'd take back pups but what about older dogs? Circumstances change and what would happen to them then or even if an irresponsible owner let them breed litter after litter.
    Were you planning on having contracts or anything similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

duploelabs wrote: »
    I'd have no issue taking them back if they're pups from people who have already expressed an interest.

So does that mean you wouldn't take them if adult dogs from other purchasers?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Might I remind everyone that this is not a rescue forum. Please do not soapbox a rescue agenda.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Op, if you breed a chiweenie to a chiweenie, you won't get chiweenies.
    Same goes for all "designer crossbreed" dogs. Until a breed is a breed, it cannot "breed true"... That is one of the requirements for a breed to be classified as a breed, if you see what I mean?
    You will get some pups that turn out strongly Chihuahua. You'll get some that turn out strongly Dachshund. But many will turn out as absolute Heinze 57s in appearance. This has been tried and tested, and even empirically tested via scientific research.
    The only "designer crossbreed" that I know of that now breed true after a 5 decade breeding program is the Australian Labradoodle, now a breed in its own right as a result.
    So, to my mind, your best bet (if you're hell bent on breeding from him) is to back-cross him to a purebred Chi, or a purebred Dax, obviously that have the necessary genetic testing done too, and that have exemplary temperaments. Whether you'll find an owner with all the tests done who'll want to breed their pb bitch to a crossbred sire is a whole other matter though... I would see you struggling in this regard. It is against IKC rules to breed a registered pb to any other breed or crossbreed... Not that they'd enforce that rule in reality.
    If you do find a suitable pb bitch, it will mean you'll have three-quarter bred pups that will have some shape or make to them, if it's a "look" you're going for.
    But do beware... People are demons for saying they'd love a pup, but when it's put on a plate in front of them, they mysteriously melt away. Be prepared for the worst case scenario of being left with more dogs than you had bargained for! Though this applies more to the owner of the bitch more than yourself with the sire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

As a bitch owner who breeds, it is actually the bitch owner who approaches the Stud Dog owners, not the other way around. Not only am I looking for superb temperaments. I am also looking for excellent confirmation which is proven, correct scissors bite & lovely breed appropriate movement. Health Testing & working ability is also extremely important.

Your dog also needs further certified health testing. Using him occasionally will mean that he will be on the lookout for more bitches. Can you deal with that? Just because he appears to be sociable does not mean that he will be happy to live with another dog.

Unfortunately the only people who would be interested in using a crossbreed is backyard 'Greeders' looking to make money. I would never use such a dog at stud. He is lovely btw, very appealing but just not as a breeding dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

Pedigree dogs are bred on specific selections to get a specific looking dog.Given the fact that your dog is a mix of this and that, you will have an extremely hard time finding a second one of that mix unless it's a sibling and, even only with basic genetic knowledge, we all know where that leads. neuter your dog and let the people interested find their own cheeneweenies or such.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 LindaBee1

The rescues and pounds are overflowing with unwanted dogs why not tell your friends to check out the rescues.

LindaBee1 wrote: »
    The rescues and pounds are overflowing with unwanted dogs why not tell your friends to check out the rescues.

As per the previous on-thread mod warning, please do not pull this thread off topic with any more advice to rescue. The point has already been made.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Advertisement