Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hp Spectre

Options
  • 03-01-2017 12:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

Does anyone here have a hp Spectre?

I'm looking to get one as they look spectacular, and have good specifications.

How do they fair versus a mac?

I'm looking at the model that's $1100, reduced from $1250

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

I have one... i7 version... it was expensive but I really love it... keyboard is a pleasure, runs good and fast... I carry around in the leather case it came with... really thin and looks great... I've gotten compliments from people in cafes etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Man handled the spectre and its sister model, nice units. My, smaller and older, ultrabook has more IO though which would drive me away.

For a similar price I'd probably lean towards this fella which stole HPs thunder just weeks after they released:
    http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/138642-acer-swift-7-review-has-acer-finally-cracked-high-end-laptop-design

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Im just about to order an HP Spectre, but dont make the mistake of buying from PC world, they only have the generation 6 intel CPUs and that also means they dont have a fully functioning version of Windows 10.

The best place I have found is on HPs own store, its cheaper. For €1290 Im getting the top of the line kaby lake i7 7500U CPU and also 512GB SSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭MickH503

The best place I have found is on HPs own store, its cheaper. For €1290 Im getting the top of the line kaby lake i7 7500U CPU and also 512GB SSD.

Do you have a link? Is it the UK HP store you're using?

MickH503 wrote: »
    Do you have a link? Is it the UK HP store you're using?

Yeah the UK one. They dont deliver internationally, but I will use Parcel Wizard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,570 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

ED E wrote: »
    Man handled the spectre and its sister model, nice units. My, smaller and older, ultrabook has more IO though which would drive me away.

For a similar price I'd probably lean towards this fella which stole HPs thunder just weeks after they released:
    http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/138642-acer-swift-7-review-has-acer-finally-cracked-high-end-laptop-design

The HP is using proper i5 and i7 processors, the one in the Acer is a rebranded CoreM chip (1.2ghz :eek:)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The HP is using proper i5 and i7 processors, the one in the Acer is a rebranded CoreM chip (1.2ghz :eek:)

Ahh Jaysus, didnt cop that. Rather significant performance delta so.

Ordered it this morning as soon as I woke up. It worked perfectly with the parcel wizard address in Northern Ireland, will take a day longer to get to me in ROI. Cost €1280 as the exchange rate is good at the moment for euro :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

How would this fare versus 2015/16 MBP

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I have the 2015 Edition Spectre X360 for just over two years so I can give a fairly good long term review.

Note that the newer models are a little thinner and have different connectivity ports, mine has 3x USB and a HDMI port but the newer ones have different port assortments.

Pretty much it's been rock solid from day 1, never had a blue screen or a crash, keyboard and screen both excellent touchpad is good as well though you may want to fiddle with the settings in the driver to get it exactly for your liking, the 2005 model has two speaker IDT audio, the newer models have better Bang and Olufsen. If you do light gaming on it it can warm up a little bit but nothing too much.

Battery life can go for 10 hours easy on the Full HD version, if you are going for the quad HD I'd knock at least a couple of hours off that. The other good thing is that the battery two years later is just as good as it was from day one, if you run battery diagnostic tests on it the capacity is the same as new, unlike many other laptops which capacity reduces over time, I've never seen this on the Spectre.

It's a beautiful laptop and the lightness and the flex of it means there's pretty much nowhere that it cannot go, the hinges are still good, the build quality is very premium and not a cheap part on it, the thing just scrams premium, like others have said I ahve had many comments about it. I aim to replace it with a newer model most likely next year or maybe late this year depending on how much free cash I have at the time as a lot of stuff planned out for this year.

Only issue I had was with a strange CPU random throttling which was caused by a faulty CPU, HP to their credit replaced the i5 with an i7 in the same machine, from the day I reported it to HP on a Monday afternoon it was collected Tuesday morning and back with me on Friday lunchtime - really excellent warranty service via DPD.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

devnull wrote: »
    I have the 2015 Edition Spectre X360 for just over two years so I can give a fairly good long term review.

Note that the newer models are a little thinner and have different connectivity ports, mine has 3x USB and a HDMI port but the newer ones have different port assortments.

Pretty much it's been rock solid from day 1, never had a blue screen or a crash, keyboard and screen both excellent touchpad is good as well though you may want to fiddle with the settings in the driver to get it exactly for your liking, the 2005 model has two speaker IDT audio, the newer models have better Bang and Olufsen. If you do light gaming on it it can warm up a little bit but nothing too much.

Battery life can go for 10 hours easy on the Full HD version, if you are going for the quad HD I'd knock at least a couple of hours off that. The other good thing is that the battery two years later is just as good as it was from day one, if you run battery diagnostic tests on it the capacity is the same as new, unlike many other laptops which capacity reduces over time, I've never seen this on the Spectre.

It's a beautiful laptop and the lightness and the flex of it means there's pretty much nowhere that it cannot go, the hinges are still good, the build quality is very premium and not a cheap part on it, the thing just scrams premium, like others have said I ahve had many comments about it. I aim to replace it with a newer model most likely next year or maybe late this year depending on how much free cash I have at the time as a lot of stuff planned out for this year.

Only issue I had was with a strange CPU random throttling which was caused by a faulty CPU, HP to their credit replaced the i5 with an i7 in the same machine, from the day I reported it to HP on a Monday afternoon it was collected Tuesday morning and back with me on Friday lunchtime - really excellent warranty service via DPD.

Good review thanks a lot. I'll probably buy closer to September, just in time for college.

One question, why do you plan to replace it next year,

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

My Spectre X360 (13-4009na) was from the first generation of Spectre X360s bought in March 2015.

At this point the Spectre was only supplied with two generic speakers under the case rather than the four higher quality Bang and Olufsen examples that the Spectre has come with since 2006.

In addition when I bought my model the highest config that could be bought was with 256GB SSD and 8GB RAM and I have found since I've got the laptop over the past two years I have progressively used more and more RAM, 8GB is still enough, but I think I'll need more next year.

Also the newer Spectre's have on-board graphics chips which are a fair bit better than the older ones and the CPU's are a bit more energy and heat efficient as well as giving better performance.

I'll be replacing it with another Spectre I'm pretty sure, unless HP make some changes that I don't like between now and then.

Advertisement