Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dry January...Let's be having ya!!!

Options
  • 02-01-2017 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭

Overdid it over the hols lads. :(
    Down through the years I've always been working over the Christmas so couldn't go too mad but I've been out of work for the last 6 months so been on the alcoholic tear for the last 2 weeks. I think maybe i had a day or two break ...(not my decision....more like a reprimand from the Mrs)
    Time for another reset. Definitely going to try dry Jan...who's with me :D
    (PS starting new job on Wednesday so that should be a help)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭ASoberThought

What is your plan to fill the void that will be left in the absence of drinking/going to the pub?
    I'm with you for dry January (also February,March,April,May,June,July,August,September,October,November and December:) )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

I've been off work for the last 6 months so i had a lot of time on my hands and previous to that i was working 12 hr shifts for the guts of 20 years and had a lot of time off when the 3 shifts finished.
    New job is Mon - Friday and I'd never drink on "school nights"
    Plannning the calendar for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭ASoberThought

After two weekends it should get much easier. Aim for January but it's amazing how more fulfilling life gets by eliminating it longer term. Good luck, you can do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mickeyflanagan

I'm going to give it a go, going to try for 66 days, try to break the habit. Here goes day 4..........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Just a quick note to say I'm still hanging in there. The new job is definitely making it easier as it's Mon-Fri and it's a 5.30 rise.
    I'm participating in the local parkrun every Saturday morning so it's only Saturday nights I have to be careful of.
    Driving home yesterday after the run feeling more alive than ever.
    You get to see a whole other world out there when you're not drinking.
    Clear head this morning thank God :)
    Best of luck to anyone trying it!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭Sono

Haven't touched a drop since 30th december, gonna try go till mid Feb and see how I get on.

In the mean time healthy eating and exercise are on the agenda so hopefully lose a few pounds in the mean time, no one has any money in January anyway so it's not that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭Sono

Feeling the strain of this a little now, kicked the smokes as well so maybe it's that too. Anyone else still going strong?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Aye, still in there. Had a few non-alcoholic ones for the times I was stuck in a group of people drinking, but it was surprisingly easy to stay off.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭aabarnes1

How's everyone doing on this?

Advertisement