Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get started in MMA ?

Options
  • 02-01-2017 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi Folks,

Just looking for some advice, i've been lifting 3/4x week plus football for the past 10 years and i now really want to try learn MMA.

Where is the best place to start, i want to keep my lifting routine for 3 times per week to retain a bit of size and strength. I'm a complete beginner and don't know where to begin, should i go to one BJJ and 1 Muay Tai class per week and take it from there or should i join a club dedicated to incorporating various MA's ? Also do you have any tips on combing MMA with weight training ?

Thank you

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 409 ✭✭shugy

Hi Folks,

Just looking for some advice, i've been lifting 3/4x week plus football for the past 10 years and i now really want to try learn MMA.

Where is the best place to start, i want to keep my lifting routine for 3 times per week to retain a bit of size and strength. I'm a complete beginner and don't know where to begin, should i go to one BJJ and 1 Muay Tai class per week and take it from there or should i join a club dedicated to incorporating various MA's ? Also do you have any tips on combing MMA with weight training ?

Thank you

Work, football, weight training and your wanting to add mma. I've always wanted to do mma but can't even fit the gym in anymore :(. Only advice I can give, find your local gym and go for few trial runs see how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

what area are you living/working in, and people here can recommend some good gyms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Where are you located OP?.

Also as regards your question on weight training alongside your MMA training, its impossible to answer that here. You'd really have to talk to your coach at the time, but it is possible ~ however its very time consuming, and you'll want your rest & diet on point to make progress.

Honestly there are too many variables. Some of the bigger clubs have MMA training most days, some split it because BJJ (or wrestling) and striking with maybe one MMA class per week where you will train your grapplings, takedowns & striking with an open mat.

So, where are you?.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Looking to start myself too, based in leixlip,any advice for gyms? Am a complete novice to any combat sports but would be very athletic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

THFC wrote: »
    Looking to start myself too, based in leixlip,any advice for gyms? Am a complete novice to any combat sports but would be very athletic.

You could ask in THIS BJJ THREAD ~ The reason I'm pointing you to a BJJ thread is that I don't know a BJJ club which doesn't also have MMA classes too.

Sorry I can't be more specific but I don't know Leixlip all that well.. Although I used to work on the door of 'Rock a Fellas & the Ozone back in the late nights, done Highway 66 & Sammys chipper too ~ there was some MMA fighting in those places at the weekend :p

Best of luck with finding a club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Hi Folks,

Thank you

I think you can afford to lift 3x times a week while training MMA twice a week. Even if you toned down the weight lifting though, you shouldn't lose too much size if your nutrition is on point. The added cardio from MMA training may mean you'd need to up your calories on those days to stop yourself dropping weight though.

As for how to train, it totally depends where you live as to whats available to you. I'd recommend going hybrid MMA from the start as it gives the best foundation IMO. That's unless you'd be training at somewhere big like SBG where the Muay Thai classes are taught with MMA in mind, then I'd tell you to go to as many different ones as possible and see what you like. The same for BJJ, although doing pure BJJ will definitely help you learn, but if it's not geared towards MMA grappling it can lead to holes in your game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MMAConnecttv

where are you located?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Best way to start is by going to an beginners MMA class that is not much of a hassle for you to get to.

After a while you might find you would like to work on one area more and add in a grappling or striking based class at a later date.

I coach a beginners class in SBG and common enough occurrence would be for a strong person coming in and tensing up and using lots of strength. Just something to to keep in mind. Stay relaxed, you won't get hurt, and there is no need to use strength when learning or drilling techniques, it will actually delay your progress and limit your training partners.

Most fighters would rarely lift weights, it would be a very small part of their training, and even then would often not involve any hypertrophy training.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭cletus

What form does your weight training take at the moment? Is it a typical 3 day split routine, for size? Most weight training for fighting would take the shape of functional strength and conditioning training, using big compound movements, rather than isolated exercises targeting individual muscle groups

• Registered Users Posts: 39,038 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

This ^^

I do resistance training 3 times a week. But it's geared specifically towards my other training, rather than bodybuilding or powerlifitng

• Advertisement
Advertisement