Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stop before white line?

Options
  • 02-01-2017 1:19am
    Site Banned Posts: 60 ✭✭

Very odd questions here, but they are important

There is a new housing estate after opening up and they have a new road layout inside it. The white line is 5 feet after the Stop sign. Is that correct? I always figured it to be the other way around that the white line was before, the stop sign.

Also, I have noticed cars parking right on the mouth of the opening. Is that legal even if its outside their own door? The reason I ask is that on the road there's nearly enough for two cars side by side, I Literally mean it, if two cars decided for whatever reason to park beside each other door to door there would be no way to open any door, and NO one would get access to the rest of the road.

cheers in advance and if i am in the wrong place just let me know

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

I see no problem with the stop sign issue, thats just the way sometimes. Regarding parking on the street, why cant they park in their driveways?

• Site Banned Posts: 60 ✭✭enterprise2017

completely agree, I'm told that they can not park bumper to bumper and no cars are allowed to either mouth the kerb or obstruct the footpath in any manner, (mind you i took a walk with my dog tonight and saw more than one car mounting the kerb and entire footpath) I've seen rules similar to these this back in the states but the rules in this particular estate are nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Plugguy

The stop sign before the white line is very common. You are required to stop at the stop sign, then move slowly up to the white line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Plugguy wrote: »
    The stop sign before the white line is very common. You are required to stop at the stop sign, then move slowly up to the white line.
    Never heard this rule before.
    You normally stop at the stop line.

From the ROTR (however being Irish ROTR it does a good job of being as clear as mud)

"upright Stop sign is a red octagon with a white border. It is the only regulatory sign of this shape. Stop signs appear at junctions with major roads. If you approach a Stop sign, you must stop completely before entering the major road, no matter how quiet it might appear."

"If you see a ‘Stop’ sign (shown below), you must stop at the sign or at the stop line on the road, if provided, even if there is no traffic on the road you would like to enter."

"A continuous white Stop line crossing the left-hand lane.
    The word STOP may also be provided with the Stop line.
    The driver must come to a complete stop before entering a major road. The stop line sometimes appears with an upright Stop sign."

So the Stop line is the designated stopping point. The sign is there to back it up,
    Pretty sure it is not allowed to park at a Stop line or obstruct an entrance to a street/road for many very obvious reasons.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

You're not allow to park near at junction, at a drop kerb, or in any way which should obstruct traffic or endanger other road users. The mouth of a junction is out of the question.
    Plugguy wrote: »

+1 it's very common and in many counties the stop side is nearly always a metre or two before the line.

The rule is that you come to a full stop at the line, unless there's no line, in which case you come to a full stop at the sign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

completely agree, I'm told that they can not park bumper to bumper and no cars are allowed to either mouth the kerb or obstruct the footpath in any manner, (mind you i took a walk with my dog tonight and saw more than one car mounting the kerb and entire footpath) I've seen rules similar to these this back in the states but the rules in this particular estate are nuts

It sounds to me like the road is obviously too narrow however its an interesting point. The road outside our house is wide enough for 2 cars to park opposite each other and room to fit a car between them. However if the 2 cars park legally and an oil truck/bin truck/fire brigade try to go up the road then they cant fit through and stop there beeping and occasionally calling in to houses to ask to move cars. Most of the cars belong to QBC commuters so the truck ends up reversing back to try and access by using another route.

However if the cars park illegally with the wheels on the footpath everything is fine and this is what most people do. Never seen anybody getting a ticket. This is the "solution"

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    However if the 2 cars park legally and an oil truck/bin truck/fire brigade try to go up the road then they cant fit through and stop there beeping and occasionally calling in to houses to ask to move cars.
    This means that the cars aren't legally parked. The law dictates that you may not park "in a manner in which it will interfere with the normal flow of traffic or which obstructs or endangers other traffic".

It doesn't matter that a car, or a person or a bicycle can fit between them. If vehicles are obstructed, then the car is illegally parked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Very odd questions here, but they are important

There is a new housing estate after opening up and they have a new road layout inside it. The white line is 5 feet after the Stop sign. Is that correct? I always figured it to be the other way around that the white line was before, the stop sign.

Also, I have noticed cars parking right on the mouth of the opening. Is that legal even if its outside their own door? The reason I ask is that on the road there's nearly enough for two cars side by side, I Literally mean it, if two cars decided for whatever reason to park beside each other door to door there would be no way to open any door, and NO one would get access to the rest of the road.

cheers in advance and if i am in the wrong place just let me know
    Why don't you contact your local Community Guard to discuss the parking and your local Authority to discuss the Stop sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭trellheim

Just for information on one of the points above. I currently live in a very quiet housing estate (cul-de-sac) and in recent times DCC have been very active with the clampers especially on people parking close to junctions, so enforcement does happen !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

seamus wrote: »
    This means that the cars aren't legally parked. The law dictates that you may not park "in a manner in which it will interfere with the normal flow of traffic or which obstructs or endangers other traffic".

It doesn't matter that a car, or a person or a bicycle can fit between them. If vehicles are obstructed, then the car is illegally parked.

Another good point. But how is a person to know if the gap is wide enough. They don't know what kind of traffic may be trying to pass.

Also if one car parks with nothing opposite it and then a car parks across from it who is wrong?

We would say the 2nd car but how do we know who parked first.

Ideally we should have a double yellow on one side but then you would have a load of objections. I am sure this situation is replicated throughout the country and people use "common sense" and park up on verges and footpaths affecting pedestrians no doubt..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Another good point. But how is a person to know if the gap is wide enough. They don't know what kind of traffic may be trying to pass.
    Ignorance is not a defence :)

Absolute minimum lane width is 2.5m according to design guidelines. So if the distance between your wing mirror and the other guy's is less than 2.5m, then you're parked illegally.
    If you're not absolutely sure that you could get a bus or an artic through the gap, then you know you can't park there.
    Also if one car parks with nothing opposite it and then a car parks across from it who is wrong?

We would say the 2nd car but how do we know who parked first.
    The second car is in the wrong either way, but the only way to know is to watch. But just report it and let the drivers figure it out when they both get fined.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Have these houses no driveways?

• Site Banned Posts: 60 ✭✭enterprise2017

people have more than one car or people visit.

+ imagine the horizontal line the car and the vertical Line is the footpath. This is not allowed apparently.

= imagine 1st horizontal line the kerb and horizontal 2 is the car. the car can not in any way make contact with the kerb

Advertisement