Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this Xbox one s toast after cereal killer?

Options
  • 01-01-2017 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

My 14 yr old son got a lovely new Xbox one s for Christmas and loves it, but this morning his 8yo sister spilled a bowl of milky Rice Krispies on it. Needless to say the machine no longer works and obviously the damage is not covered by warranty.
    Is there any hope for the console in terms of repair? Is it even worth sending away? Any suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Neleven wrote: »
    My 14 yr old son got a lovely new Xbox one s for Christmas and loves it, but this morning his 8yo sister spilled a bowl of milky Rice Krispies on it. Needless to say the machine no longer works and obviously the damage is not covered by warranty.
    Is there any hope for the console in terms of repair? Is it even worth sending away? Any suggestions?

That's going to be a tough one, I think. Where did you get it from?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Biggest question was it on when the milk was spilled? If not do not try to turn it on. And put it in the hotpress for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Biggest question was it on when the milk was spilled? If not do not try to turn it on. And put it in the hotpress for a few days.
    That is going to smell unpleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Neleven

CatInABox wrote: »
    That's going to be a tough one, I think. Where did you get it from?
    Argos.

Unfortunately we were having a New Years lie in and the young fellow tried turning it on. It's currently in the hot press but my hopes are not high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Unfortunately we were having a New Years lie in and the young fellow tried turning it on. It's currently in the hot press but my hopes are not high.

Oh that's not good some of the electronics could have shorted.

Well just leave it in hotpress as you are doing. I know people who dropped phones down the toilet and left it in hotpress for a few days and phones have worked since.

If all fails just bring it back to the shop saying it is faulty. They don't turn them on to even try find out what is the problem. As I had a faulty Xbox 360 a good few years ago and brought it back to Smyths and they just exchanged it there and then no questions at all.

Oh that's not good some of the electronics could have shorted.

Well just leave it in hotpress as you are doing. I know people who dropped phones down the toilet and left it in hotpress for a few days and phones have worked since.

If all fails just bring it back to the shop saying it is faulty. They don't turn them on to even try find out what is the problem. As I had a faulty Xbox 360 a good few years ago and brought it back to Smyths and they just exchanged it there and then no questions at all.

Thanks for the suggestion. Might be worth a try - would be a dream solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Put it in a bin bag, and empty a box of rice next to it, and then tie it up airtight; the rice is great at soaking up the moisture. Leave it for a few days, and see if it's dry, and try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭coco0981

the_syco wrote: »
    Put it in a bin bag, and empty a box of rice next to it, and then tie it up airtight; the rice is great at soaking up the moisture. Leave it for a few days, and see if it's dry, and try again.

This is definitely the way to go. Put the rice in it and then into the hotpress. Just make sure the rice can't get inside the machine which would only compound the problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Or tie it up in a t shirt, better still use a big bag of cat litter, tired up in cloth. More
    absorbent I believe. But just put it in an airtight container. Heat will warp the boards in side, don't put it in a hot press. it's not a phone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

well since its not going to be covered by warranty you should open it up and see how much of a mess is in there and what could have shorted, chances are its fúcked though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭TheChizler

The whole rice/other absorbents thing is basically a myth. They're only effective if in direct contact with the water, which they won't be as you're not pouring them into the console. In the hot press with ventilation is fine. Or in front of a dehumidifier.

Thanks for all the responses. We will give it another day in the hot press. If that doesn't work, well he still has his 360...and a lifetime worth of "you owe me" from his sister!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

TheChizler wrote: »
    The whole rice/other absorbents thing is basically a myth. They're only effective if in direct contact with the water, which they won't be as you're not pouring them into the console. In the hot press with ventilation is fine. Or in front of a dehumidifier.

Silicate gel crystals work wonders

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,942 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Sounds like a disaster, but great thread title!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

If the boy has already attempted to switch it on he'll have shorted it.

The rice and hot press won't work; if he hadn't switched it on it might have but now that power has gone through wet lines/motherboards it's dead as disco.

Poor kid, the sister's gonna be in the doghouse for years over this.

Just in case anyone is curious (or you run into a cereal killer yourselves), Microsoft have agreed to take the console to their factory or facility in Germany to have a look; they know the backstory so they don't promise anything but it's quite decent of them to have it shipped for a once over. Thanks again for responses and advice. (Just for information, the online support from Microsoft was very decent, the phone support less so).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Just in case anyone is curious (or you run into a cereal killer yourselves), Microsoft have agreed to take the console to their factory or facility in Germany to have a look; they know the backstory so they don't promise anything but it's quite decent of them to have it shipped for a once over. Thanks again for responses and advice. (Just for information, the online support from Microsoft was very decent, the phone support less so).

fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭recyclops

i have found dealing with microsoft a delight be it when my 360 was on the fritz ( their issue) or i bought a 360 version game on the website and not xbox one version ( i am probably the only person who ended up with two digital versions of farcry 4 on its release date :p:p)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭alpha13

out of curiosity..you said it was got in argos.. did you by chance take out the customery insurance they offer at the till when gotten???
    if so.. use it :) warranty not an issue...

• Advertisement

alpha13 wrote: »
    out of curiosity..you said it was got in argos.. did you by chance take out the customery insurance they offer at the till when gotten???
    if so.. use it :) warranty not an issue...

Unfortunately didn't: it struck me as quite expensive at the time (though I'm revising that judgement now).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Posts deleted, thread closed, because:

A. The OP has already decided what to do
    B. People were advocating returns fraud
    C. People were directly attacking other posters.

Unimpressed. Cut it out.

CIAB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement