Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Laptop Bundle Deal

Options
  • 01-01-2017 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭

Tesco have reduced a laptop bundle from €379 to €299.

Lenovo B50-10
    128GB SSD
    Windows 10
    4GB RAM
    Quadcore Intel Processor

Bag/Mouse/1 Year AV/8GB USB Memory Stick

Looks a good deal to me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Firblog wrote: »

Lenovo B50-10
    128GB SSD
    Windows 10
    4GB RAM
    Quadcore Intel Processor

Looks a good deal to me
    Got this for my son for Xmas, grand little machine

• Registered Users Posts: 11,726 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Firblog wrote: »

Lenovo B50-10
    128GB SSD
    Windows 10
    4GB RAM
    Quadcore Intel Processor

Looks a good deal to me

Any link? Can't find it myself.
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/browse/default.aspx?N=4294769056&Ne=4294954028
    RedXIV wrote: »
    Got this for my son for Xmas, grand little machine

Any Idea what processor its using?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Charlie19 wrote: »

Tesco is funny, the website shows different stock depending on your address.
    Charlie19 wrote: »
    Any Idea what processor its using?

Intel N3540 (2.16GHz)

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

It was 299 before Christmas I got it for my son, there's a common fault with that model of Lenovo the numeric keypad and delete button don't work so check them as soon as the unit is powered up

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Do they have a LAN Network port?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭savemefrom

sugarman wrote: »
    Processor is pretty basic, you'd be better off paying the 50quid extra for an i3.

where can i get that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭wiz569

savemefrom wrote: »
    where can i get that?

Dont think you will tbh,another €100 you will alright

I picked up one with an i3 and 128gb SSD before christmas for €330 but they have all gone up in price since :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

The likes of Amazon or Saveonlaptops

Heres the i3 version with an 500GB/8GB Hybrid HDD for €350ish.

The one thing id never skimp on is a processor in laptop, SSD and RAM are always on offer and getting cheaper and are 2 of the easiest upgrades anyone can do.

I'd agree completely with this.
    For €260 bought a grade A, refurb 15.6" Acer on eBay with i3 5005u CPU, 8GB RAM, 1TB Hard drive, last October.

Got a 750GB SSD and another 8GB RAM for it off Amazon in Black Friday deals late November for ~ €150 more, but theoretically I could have reduced that by ~ €80 by going with a 256GB SSD or ~ €40 with a ~ 500GB SSD.

It's not the most powerful machine, but it does everything I need extremely well and smoothly. I mostly use it for browsing/office type of stuff, but also watch a lot of HEVC/x265 encoded video, which the i3 handles very well.

I also have an older 14" Acer that I picked up a year ago. It has a Celeron N2840 which is a Baytrail-M processor from the same family as the Pentium N3540. (This is same family as many of the Atom CPUs found in cheaper Windows tablets such as Linx 7.)
    https://ark.intel.com/products/codename/55844/Bay-Trail#@Mobile

The Celeron is a lovely little machine for light tasks like browsing the web, but High Definition x265 video playback pushes it to its limit even at 720p resolution. It can just about do this if nothing else is running, and 1080p is a complete no-no. (And that by the way is after I had upgraded the Celeron with the maximum possible 8GB RAM and an SSD drive.)

Judging by benchmarks, the Pentium seems closer to the Celeron I mentioned than it is to an i3 from roughly the same era. Its only advantage seems to come from having more cores than the Celeron. They are the same in single core performance. CPU Boss declares it "too close to call":
    http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Pentium-N3540-vs-Intel-Celeron-N2840

This would worry me a bit, as the Pentiums are selling much closer to i3 territory price-wise than Celerons. (I got my Celeron for UK£100 [~ €130] at the time last year.)
    Anyway, just thought I'd point out these things from my own experience with laptops, since I switched to them from mainly using a desktop about a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭MrAbc

The likes of Amazon or Saveonlaptops

Heres the i3 version with an 500GB/8GB Hybrid HDD for €350ish.

The one thing id never skimp on is a processor in laptop, SSD and RAM are always on offer and getting cheaper and are 2 of the easiest upgrades anyone can do.

Another point for people to check is whether a laptop can actually be upgraded easily (or at all)... several of them now don't have a maintenance hatch for the RAM or HDD.
    ...If needs be, you might be able to unscrew and prise open the whole bottom of the casing, but sometimes, even to do that, you may need to prise up, unstick and unplug the keyboard to get at some screws. A pain, and a downer on selling it later on.

Also, importantly, the battery may not be replaceable. The useful (portable) lifetime of the laptop is severely hampered.

Not always dealbreakers for a cheap or compact laptop for a known purpose... but worth keeping it in mind, to not assume it's easy(or possible) to upgrade :)

Advertisement