Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Husband and wife second car

Options
  • 01-01-2017 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

I was wondering how would be the best practice in this situation.

Me and my wife had only one car for last five years and both we were driving this car simultaneously depends on our needs.

Right now, we bought the second car as we can't correlate our tasks.

I was first driver with at least 6 years NCB and she was always named driver on each policy. Both we are over 40 yo and now I don't know how to insure the second car.

I have current insurance policy for my first car (1.2) but our newly bought, second car is 1.6 automatic and she loves it.

I assume that she could drive the 1.6, but I rang my current insurrer and they told me, she will not get the same NCB bonus as I could get, because she was only named driver during recent years.

Advise me please what would you do?

Would be better to remove myself from that 1.2 policy and pretend that I am owner of the second 1.6 and insure her as named driver again? Could I be owner of two cars same time and get NCB for both cars in this case?

Alternatively if she wouldn't get any siginificant reduction in price then I would insure her only on smaller car and move my NCB to bigger car, etc... There are many possible ways, but don't know which one could be the cheapest... What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,070 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

As far as I know will have no NCB covering the 2nd car either, best option is for her to take out her own policy on the 2nd car, your current insurer should be able to give her a discount for her named driver experience on your policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Verwolff wrote: »
    I was wondering how would be the best practice in this situation.

Me and my wife had only one car for last five years and both we were driving this car simultaneously depends on our needs.

Right now, we bought the second car as we can't correlate our tasks.

I was first driver with at least 6 years NCB and she was always named driver on each policy. Both we are over 40 yo and now I don't know how to insure the second car.

I have current insurance policy for my first car (1.2) but our newly bought, second car is 1.6 automatic and she loves it.

I assume that she could drive the 1.6, but I rang my current insurrer and they told me, she will not get the same NCB bonus as I could get, because she was only named driver during recent years.

Advise me please what would you do?

Would be better to remove myself from that 1.2 policy and pretend that I am owner of the second 1.6 and insure her as named driver again? Could I be owner of two cars same time and get NCB for both cars in this case?

Alternatively if she wouldn't get any siginificant reduction in price then I would insure her only on smaller car and move my NCB to bigger car, etc... There are many possible ways, but don't know which one could be the cheapest... What do you think?

Ring around.

If your wife can prove 5 years claims free driving as a named driver on your policy then there are a lot of insurers that will allow her the benefit of an introductory no claims discount.

Once there is no young driver to go on the new car then I can't imagine many companies will have an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Every 2yrs continuos as 2nd driver from today back count roughly as 1yr NCB percentage . (6yrs = 3yrs on scale)

Advertisement