Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi - No longer reducing prices

Options
  • 01-01-2017 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭

More a warning than a BA.

I was in Aldi Mulhuddart yesterday (31 Dec 2016) at about 3.30pm.

I came across a pre cooked lamb joint that had a use by 31 Dec 2016 label on it. I asked the person tidying up the fridge whether there was a reduction on it. "No" she replied. "We are not marking down prices any more" "Are you going to bin it? " I asked. "Yes" she said.

I dumped the goods I already had in my basket and left the shop without buying anything.

Nice one Aldi. Brillant start to the new Year. Go on and contribute to global waste and global warming as much as you can.

Let's try and outdo Trumps America.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Same in part at Tesco, overheard a manager telling one of the staff that from the next week (new year) not to mark down a list of different things and when they get near their marked dates but to keep checking them and throw them out when the dates are up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭midnight city

There are still reductions in local smaller shops. People should support them more in 2017. Aldi and lidl aren't as cheap as they used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

Consumer issues forum that way....

ongarite wrote: »
    Consumer issues forum that way....

Some people go looking for reduced to clear bargains, I don't see why its not worth pointing out that such items may not be being reduced anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭eurokev

You dumped the goods you had in your basket, I presume this means you just dropped them anywhere. Kind of knobish thing to do. I used to work in retail and this is really the height of ignorance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,268 ✭✭✭✭ted1

There is probably some poxy accountancy clause that lets them write off stick that has gone off against profits , which is more beneficial than selling at a loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Because it's not a bargain alert.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Because it's not a bargain alert.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Aldi works with Food Cloud to donate surplus food. Maybe it was going to be donated rather than thrown out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Murt10 wrote: »

I dumped the goods I already had in my basket and left the shop without buying anything.

Nice one Aldi. Brillant start to the new Year. Go on and contribute to global waste and global warming as much as you can.

Bit of an over-reaction, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Murt10 wrote: »
    More a warning than a BA.

I was in Aldi Mulhuddart yesterday (31 Dec 2016) at about 3.30pm.

I came across a pre cooked lamb joint that had a use by 31 Dec 2016 label on it. I asked the person tidying up the fridge whether there was a reduction on it. "No" she replied. "We are not marking down prices any more" "Are you going to bin it? " I asked. "Yes" she said.

You're as much to blame. You didn't buy the food because it wasn't cheap enough for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭jeffk

I was in there Thursday doing the weeks shop and couldn't believe it ,expected stuff to be marked down

Sprout's 1.30 after seeing on here tesco had them for around 20c

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭eurokev

....... wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

I worked in retail for years too. I can't see how you don't see it as ignorant. It's a kin to someone throwing rubbish on the street because the street cleaner will pick it up, or blowing their nose in a napkin for and leaving it on a table in a restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

It's not so much that Ted, it's the amount of people hiding in the long grass waiting to swoop when the price drops. How many well dressed, well fed people do you see rock up in a reasonably sized car or better, only to go straight for a rummage for this stuff.

What started out as a good faith measure is actually encouraging a type of behaviour that is taking from regular sales and tight margins. It's the same with people going to the back of the fridge to get the chicken with the longest date, rather than just picking up the chicken at the front.

Plainly, people taking the piss and pushing it too far.

As regards the Op's case, op should not have tried to ush them down if he wanted that lamb joint, he should have just got it and ate it, they are already very well priced.

Remember, Aldi were the only beacon of decency during times where things were really tight for a lot of people. It's not right that consumers would try force their hand this way, thus you see the change in tact from them in terms of holding back the long dated stuff, limiting the short dated, and changing consumer behaviour to not expect as many marked down goods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

....... wrote: »
    No it isn't. I spent years working in supermarkets and one of the frequent daily jobs was gathering up and returning items to the correct places on the shelves. People leave stuff in the wrong place for all sorts of reasons. There's nothing ignorant about it, it's just part of working in a supermarket.

It is the height of ignorance, shows a complete contempt for shop workers and was never tolerated where I worked

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Where's the bargain?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

Thanks op bought 2.5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭sgthighway

The shops in my locality have all that food collected for a charity. Saves the shop having to re-price it and move it to a bargain shelve. That includes Tesco.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Aldi works with Food Cloud to donate surplus food. Maybe it was going to be donated rather than thrown out.

Exactly this. Seeing surplus short-dated food going to charities at no cost to feed those who really need it is something that should be applauded.

• Advertisement

It is the height of ignorance, shows a complete contempt for shop workers and was never tolerated where I worked

Interesting to know how it wasn't tolerated. If a customer doesn't want to buy a basket full of stuff you can't force them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Funniest thing was how the OP managed to work an anti Trump agenda into a rant about a leg of lamb from a German shop in Ireland!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement