Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Year's Resolution

Options
  • 31-12-2016 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭

3440 x 1440 for me same as last year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Got a good chuckle, still sitting at 1080p.

Really gone off my graphical whoring lately, I play most games at medium settings now, looks fine and the 290 doesn't get under too much pressure so it's not loud and I get a solid 60fps, more important than running 1440p or 144hz to me anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

If there is a successor to the Fury X (same form factor) I will be very interested...

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

Same here, had enough of washed out colours/greys and pixelated text, on my 4 year old 27inch monitor, since I do lots of reading and some writing during the year. In hindsight, I probably should have saved money and bought a 24inch. Maybe something like this. Slowly getting tempted by an M.2 drive, which I don't really need, but the dark side is calling....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Denny_Crane

I have to say after playing with a Rift and then selling it, curved UW have a real gaming niche, I'm not really into the massive frame rates 60FPS seems to do me just fine. My rig has had many homes but recently got put in a 400Q and put back in the wardrobe. Silent gaming FTW! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I bought a 4K Predator to replace my 1440p one, but I'm not sure if I'll stick with it as it's a 60hz panel (hasn't arrived yet). Other than that, think it'll be a quiet enough year hardware wise for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Finally replace my 10 year old ailing laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

TerrorFirmer, what are you doing with the 1440p predator, eehhh, asking for a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

1080p here. I keep thinking I'll upgrade, but I just can't be arsed knowing I've been using the same monitor for almost four years and it's fine, and we'll probably have OLED readily available in another four.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

4k, 43" about a half a meter from my face and feeling fine, looks great and plays great. Don't let anyone tell you we can't game at 4k, you don't need ultra settings for a game to look great. It's especially superb for the driving sims I frequent.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

4K would be nice even though they are only 60Hz but I don't think it will matter. My first 144Hz monitor was at 1440P and I wasn't too impressed with 144Hz. I do not really notice the difference. Saying that with 4K I would go for a larger screen size but I'm sure if there is many 4K screens that have freesync and are larger than 32 inches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Be a cpu and case upgrade for sure this year,then maybe a new PSU with a braided cable set.

Qnix still going strong at 100Hz (1440p) so that will tide me over monitor wise.

My old 3570k has served me well but its time i upgrade at this point i think. Already have a 1080 so that will be me sorted for a few years upgrade wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

Sticking at 1440P for now sort of tempted by 4K, I plan to upgrade after Ryzen is released and finally replace my FX6300. Also thinking of going back to crossfire by adding a 390x to my 290x 8GB should do me for another year at most resolutions.

I wont move to 4K (again) until there is a UW resolution and 34" UW.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I wont move to 4K (again) until there is a UW resolution and 34" UW.

But... If it's 4k, by definition it can't be UW.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    But... If it's 4k, by definition it can't be UW.

Meh you know what I mean, also it could be 4K it's just need to be an odd resolution with fewer vertical lines.

But for the sake of clarify, I won't be making the jump to 2160p until etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Meh you know what I mean, also it could be 4K it's just need to be an odd resolution with fewer vertical lines.

But for the sake of clarify, I won't be making the jump to 2160p until etc. etc.

Well its almost there already, horislzontal resolution of 4k, lower vertical resolution to make it ultrawide

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-3840x1600-FREESYNC-WideScreen-Super-Wide/dp/B01LW54S4U

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Well its almost there already, horislzontal resolution of 4k, lower vertical resolution to make it ultrawide

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-3840x1600-FREESYNC-WideScreen-Super-Wide/dp/B01LW54S4U

Look at the price though!

More looking for the 2160p with the higher horizonal - in many many years! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

have a 28 inch 4k right now but id really like to get a 34 inch UW 1440p, crazy money though

have a 28 inch 4k right now but id really like to get a 34 inch UW 1440p, crazy money though

Much like the catleap and QNIX there are bargins to be had.

• Advertisement

Much like the catleap and QNIX there are bargins to be had.

Didn't Linus but up a video recently of a cheap Korean ultra wide. Afair it was a Samsung curved display that they used for it.

Edit: Here it is:

question is where can that be bought in ireland/uk/eu and will you get caught with tax in which case youd nearly be as well off to just buy a known brand (but even those brands have serious qc issues):D

kevovek wrote: »
    Sticking at 1440P for now sort of tempted by 4K, I plan to upgrade after Ryzen is released and finally replace my FX6300. Also thinking of going back to crossfire by adding a 390x to my 290x 8GB should do me for another year at most resolutions.

Don't do that... Single card upgrade is always better than Crossfire and almost always better than SLI

question is where can that be bought in ireland/uk/eu and will you get caught with tax in which case youd nearly be as well off to just buy a known brand (but even those brands have serious qc issues):D

I think I paid about €40 on my Catleap.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Moved up to 144hz/fps in 2016; could never go back.

4k@60fps < 1080p144 for me. Even 144 isn't as buttery smooth as I would like for fast paced games like Overwatch, but not sure I could justify another purchase at the extreme end of performance monitors.

I think I paid about €40 on my Catleap.

thats not bad at all, what % do they levy on the item?

Aye that's the problem to be fair. Could be (almost) anything which is the risk with going first!

Supposed to be 23% on the items value plus shipping, if you ask the seller to mark the value down they might, but you get screwed for insurance if it's damaged in transit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭EoinHef

My Qnix was marked down as €200 and i got charged €60,i didnt push customs on it as the only reciepts i could produce showed i paid €300 for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

had gone 1440p g-sync but sold it as a car I wanted came up..now back to 1080p but gtx1080 and 1440p again soon :D

Advertisement