Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civilization IV. Help!

Options
  • 31-12-2016 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

Hi.
    I have Civilization 4, 5 and 6. Its the type of game I would love to be able to play but it seems to be like learning to play Chess. Never have I seen so much info I need to know just to play it.
    From what I can see I would have to put about 100 hours in just to figure out how to play properly.
    I know there is YouTube tutorial videos and I have watched them but they seem to be directed to someone with a basic knowledge of the game, whereas I have zero!:(:(:(
    Is there a website or any videos that anyone knows of that teaches you to play from scratch?
    Or can anyone advise the best way to learn to play.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Quill18 on youtube did a tutorial for beginners for Civ VI

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLs3acGYgI1-tJBJ55aVgYqjX5CTuKhjb7

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

What do you need help with m8, forget about the earlier games just play Civ 6 and make sure it is up to date.

The strongest faction by far is Scythia so play with her 1st or Rome which is quite good, Obviously stick it on easy difficulty till you get the hang of it and then as you keep winning up the skill level one level.

I was rubbish but am quite good now, there is a learning curve but you pick it up really quickly.

The easiest victory is score followed by culture, then religion.

The hardest victories are science and domination (Domination depending on map and number of players) Remember in Domination you only have to capture the capital of each enemy not wipe them out.

PM if you need any other help or post here I keep an eye on it.

Also watch this lads video, he is like RAIN MAN when it comes to this game.

https://www.youtube.com/user/FilthyRobotChannel/videos

Couple of early tips....

Make sure you settle in a good spot, resources are key and once settled you can gain access to resource tiles 3 tiles away. Best settling position is by water either sea or river as it gives a boost to houses and food.

Dont spend too long looking to settle about 2-3 max and pick best sport.

Once you have settled get a scout up 1st then warrior/slingers, you have an option to turn off barbarians in the menu when starting might be an idea till you get use to the game as they are a pain in the hoop at the start.

Early research will be dictated by the resources you have around you....no point in researching boats in you inland for example. Look ahead 2-3 moves in the tech tree for something you want and click on it and it will run to that tech for you.

Once you have your main city up build another settler and get another city going, its great for both production and resources and gives you bigger land to stop others starting cities near you captial.

Build new cities very close to your original, no further then say 4-5 tiles from the exsisting border as you can build units that will influence both captials down the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Beware Gandhi

Yeah the lad goes nuke mad in the later game.....game still needs a patch all the same.

Civs start a war for nothing and denounce you as a war monger even if you defend yourself. And the trade system is a joke.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement