Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-tekkie query...What should be on when travelling?

Options
  • 31-12-2016 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

My wife and I both have android phones, my deal includes free data at home and around Ireland, my wife's deal doesn't. We both have free wifi at home from my home phone/internet package.
    We recently went abroad for a couple of weeks, and logged into the apartment's wifi whilst there. I switched both phones as below, and all seemed OK. Now my wife has received a hefty bill from Vodafone, but I received only a slightly bigger bill from 3.ie.
    Obviously I'm even less-tekkie than I thought I was, so advice please for future reference, for both home use, travelling in Ireland, and abroad.
    Here's the options I switched on both phones:

WI-FI: ON
    DATA ENABLED: ON
    ALWAYS SEND RECEIVE MMS: ON
    ENABLE ALWAYS ON MOBILE DATA: ON
    DATA ROAMING: ON

Which ones should be on at home, and off when away?
    BTW, please answer in idiot-proof terms lol!
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Data roaming should be off,

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

You should of also received a text from your phone company when your data goes higher than 75euro,did you not get that?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Here's what the below options mean.
    tony glenn wrote: »
    WI-FI: Self-explanatory, this can be left turned on.

DATA ENABLED: If wifi not available, Data will be used. May cost you if you don't have a data plan.

ALWAYS SEND RECEIVE MMS: Allow you to send enhanced text messages (at potentially additional cost) that contain pictures/audio if you include those in your messages. You can probably leave this off as you may not want this feature? Many people use apps like 'WhatsApp' which rely on internet to send pictures/videos and this avoids charges.

ENABLE ALWAYS ON MOBILE DATA: Data can be used continuously (if enabled), e.g. for periodically checking your emails.

DATA ROAMING: If out of Ireland, phone will automatically connect to a data network. This should always be off as data abroad generally costs a large amount

In summary, the settings for you should be as follows:

WI-FI: Yes
    DATA ENABLED: Yes
    ALWAYS SEND RECEIVE MMS: No
    ENABLE ALWAYS ON MOBILE DATA: Yes
    DATA ROAMING: No

Since your wife does not have a data plan, the settings for her should be as follows (unless she is willing to pay data charges in Ireland? not as expensive as abroad but can still add up).
    WI-FI: Yes
    DATA ENABLED: No
    ALWAYS SEND RECEIVE MMS: No
    ENABLE ALWAYS ON MOBILE DATA: No
    DATA ROAMING: No

• Registered Users Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭SteM

The next time you're going abroad contact three about their 3 like home package too.

http://www.three.ie/eshop/threelikehome/

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭tony glenn

Thanks all, much appreciated. Yes, my wife received a warning that she'd spent 40 euro plus vat on data, that's what caused the panic.
    3.ie don't have a 'like home' deal for Spain!
    That clear list of each phone's settings is just what I needed....thanks again!
    Happy New Year to you all...it will be for us once the phone bills are paid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement