Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PhD in Psychology - A Good Option at Present?

Options
  • 31-12-2016 2:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi all,

I am a fourth year student coming to the end of my undergraduate and I'm now at the daunting stage where I have to make concrete decisions about what I'll do after I graduate. I'm torn about going straight into a PhD at my university and I've had discussions with some of my lecturers about potential projects. Four years is a huge commitment and I'm wary of the opportunity cost as well as the inevitable financial strain. The boat for the IRC funding has sailed (earlier than usual this year from what I've heard) and I'm strongly considering taking a year out to generate funds and improve my CV.

I have enjoyed my course (for the most part) and I believe that becoming a researcher/lecturer would be a good career choice for me. I would almost say it's inevitable that I will be teaching in some capacity down the line. However, the financial situation at home isn't great by any means and I am worried that the PhD could be a gamble if I will be facing a constant struggle to secure employment. I have also considered doing a one year masters in statistics/research methods and attempting to find employment afterwards as an alternative. I was hoping to get some views on what the employment situation is currently like in research and academic psychology.

I've read several postdoc students' experiences being exploited in other disciplines and apparently they have received paltry wages in some cases. How difficult would it be for me to find a job after completing a PhD? Is it highly likely that I will have to emigrate in order to find employment? In the event that I am not able to find a job as a lecturer or researcher, what could I do with a PhD instead?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Your own lecturers will be able to give you a good idea as to the likelihood of becoming a lecturer (Tough I imagine).

And, in fairness the benefit of a PhD for graduate level jobs is debatable. Also, that's another four years of expensive study and the opportunity cost you mentioned. If your heart is set on being a lecturer and it's at least a possibility then go for it.

Now, the other thing - how transferable is it to get a graduate job from your Psychology degree? Or would a post grad/masters in another area be of benefit to getting a job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

If you want to go into academia, then you'll a most certainly need a PhD.
    If you want to do something else then it'should doubtful you'll need it.

4 years is a long time and you really need to write a list of pros and cons.

I don't know about your field in particular, but in engineering there's very few PhDs in industry. I've never seen it as a requirement for a job.
    I work in a MNC and I know that here a PhD will get you an extra 5k a year over someone with a masters, not worth the extra three years of study.
    Also I've heard anecdotes about managers not wanting to hire people more qualified than they are, or thinking PhDs are too indoctrinated in the "academic" lifestyle.

Just talk to as many people as you can before making the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Guzma

@AvatarMIA Thanks for the response. From what I've heard from current PhD students it could be quite difficult find a job as a lecturer. I could accept doing something else for a few years but after eight years of third level education I would hope to have job security of course. I didn't think I'd face the same problems that I faced when choosing my course after the Leaving Cert, but it's almost just as hard to find information about postgraduate courses! I guess I'll continue to speak to my lecturers about job opportunities. I'm forced to hold my tongue at times so perhaps speaking to current PhD students wouldn't be a bad idea either.

I've heard similar anecdotes and even a few cases when job candidates have omitted that they had completed a PhD! For an extra 5k a year, it's definitely not worth it. I guess I'm in a fortunate position where I'm resigned to taking a year out. I'm a little worried that it could affect my chances of getting accepted into the PhD program down the line but I don't think doing a PhD is a decision that should be rushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I'm taking it you want to do a research PhD in psychology, rather than a professional PhD such as Clinical Psychology, Counselling Psychology?

• Advertisement

I'm taking it you want to do a research PhD in psychology, rather than a professional PhD such as Clinical Psychology, Counselling Psychology?

That's right, I forgot to mention that!

Advertisement