Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where do television sockets cabling terminate at in house?

Options
  • 31-12-2016 1:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,783 ✭✭✭✭

just moved into new home and every room has a Television UHF TV socket (next to 13a double sockets) - I took off faceplate and behind every TV socket there is the standard black aerial cable , so they are wired up . I am just wondering where all these cables ultimately end up? - there is no outside UHF aerial and the house is not in a cabled area - Could these TV cables all end up in the loft somewhere? - had a quick look in the loft the other day but everywhere is covered in thick fibreglass loft insulation material. - Would there be a regular routine/practice/area where electricians terminate these cables up in the loft in new house or will I have to just search lifting up all the insulation until I finally come across them? - any Ideas? thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭eurokev

Satellite dish?

A few houses would put a sky box in the attic and have a magic eye where TVs in the house are, you need coax cable for this.
    Anyway can't imagine they would go back anywhere other than the loft to a splitter box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

just moved into new home and every room has a Television UHF TV socket (next to 13a double sockets) - I took off faceplate and behind every TV socket there is the standard black aerial cable , so they are wired up . I am just wondering where all these cables ultimately end up? - there is no outside UHF aerial and the house is not in a cabled area - Could these TV cables all end up in the loft somewhere? - had a quick look in the loft the other day but everywhere is covered in thick fibreglass loft insulation material. - Would there be a regular routine/practice/area where electricians terminate these cables up in the loft in new house or will I have to just search lifting up all the insulation until I finally come across them? - any Ideas? thanks.

Probably used to lead to a UHF TV aerial in the attic that became redundant. And while the aerial was thrown out the old cable and boxes are remainders. A bit like your appendix :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,301 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

They will all be gathered in the attic. should be easy to spot.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Is the house newly built? If so then all of the cabling will most likely have been run to a central point in the attic and the outdoor aerial is unlikely to have been installed yet. It would be very rare for electricians to terminate these cables in attic as it gives the owner the option of connecting them to an aerial or a satellite dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,783 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

aido79 wrote: »
    Is the house newly built? If so then all of the cabling will most likely have been run to a central point in the attic and the outdoor aerial is unlikely to have been installed yet. It would be very rare for electricians to terminate these cables in attic as it gives the owner the option of connecting them to an aerial or a satellite dish.

Yes built in 2008/9 and no outdoor aerial or sky dish was fitted. I suppose one day I shall have to go up again and have a proper look. Maybe they are all bundled up there maybe in one corner of the loft. Hopefully above the insulation

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Yes built in 2008/9 and no outdoor aerial or sky dish was fitted. I suppose one day I shall have to go up again and have a proper look. Maybe they are all bundled up there maybe in one corner of the loft. Hopefully above the insulation

I would have my doubts about that. Insulation installers aren't usually that considerate. Try to imagine where the aerial should go and hope that the electrician has been thinking of that too. Might be a good place to start looking.

what I might do is try and trace the wire from one of the upstairs bedrooms UHF socket up to the loft and then surely the rest must be all bundled up there in the same place ... hopefully. I will do that one day

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭confusedeire

Check near the chimney breast in the attic

what a great idea actually because most aerial installers put the aerial on the chimney stack with wire lashing bracket. Why didnt I think of that . - cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6 021electrician

Every house we have wired in the past we have located the cables next to the chimney in the attic unless otherwise requested by the home owner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Bscan86

We always routed the co-axials to the trapdoor and would fit a socket there aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Cerco

what a great idea actually because most aerial installers put the aerial on the chimney stack with wire lashing bracket. Why didnt I think of that . - cheers
    If all rooms are wired you will need a distribution amplifier between dish/aerial and the outlets.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Is there any chance they have them.i..A Whyte plastic service box outside ? Near the ESB meter

Stoner wrote: »
    Is there any chance they have them.i..A Whyte plastic service box outside ? Near the ESB meter

I did see another white box but that had the EIRCOM wires and black waterproof connector inside. No TV aerial wires.

I also looked around the electrical consumer unit as well because there are plethora of house alarm cables hanging down there. But TV cables weren't there either.

You were bang on the mark :cool: - Just been up in the loft today, there they were all bundled up by the chimney and there was a double switched 13a socket there too.

No distribution box or anything just loose cables but i dont mind about that I can get that sorted out

Advertisement