Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S&P 500 ETF. Which one?

Options
  • 31-12-2016 1:07am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've set up an account with degiro and I'm looking at investing in an ETF that tracks the S&P 500 but there are so many to choose from. I want one that is non UCITS so that it's treated like a share. I've been reading up and it seems that currency hedging doesn't seem to offer any real benefit so I'd probably just go with one that is in USD. That narrows it down for me but there are still plenty of options there. Even if I just look at Vanguard they have a few different ones that are US based and priced in USD. Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭sob1467

I've set up an account with degiro and I'm looking at investing in an ETF that tracks the S&P 500 but there are so many to choose from. I want one that is non UCITS so that it's treated like a share. I've been reading up and it seems that currency hedging doesn't seem to offer any real benefit so I'd probably just go with one that is in USD. That narrows it down for me but there are still plenty of options there. Even if I just look at Vanguard they have a few different ones that are US based and priced in USD. Any advice?

Personally I'd be very weary at the moment of purchasing an etf that tracks the s&p500. The S&P500 is close to its higher level ever at 2,240. At the peak of the .Com bubble it was 1,520 and at the peak of 2007 it was 1,570. It is unlikely to keep increasing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

sob1467 wrote: »
    Personally I'd be very weary at the moment of purchasing an etf that tracks the s&p500. The S&P500 is close to its higher level ever at 2,240. At the peak of the .Com bubble it was 1,520 and at the peak of 2007 it was 1,570. It is unlikely to keep increasing.

Bloomberg asked analysts for their opinion of the S&P500 for 2017. On average they expect it to end the year at 4% higher than now.

The dot com bubble was a bubble. US corporate profits are actually decent and the S&P500 is reflecting that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

sob1467 wrote:

Said everyone for the last 5 years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭sob1467

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Said everyone for the last 5 years or so.

That is true but one of the main aims of investing is buying low and selling high.

It is an interesting time and it seems that if Trumps promises of a decrease in corporate tax as well as more deregulation the markets will increase. It just seems that the index is really high at the moment, that was all I was saying.

It would make more sense at least in my opinion to sell now, rather than buy, but again each to their own. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭topper_harley2

To the OP's actual question..... Buy the one with lowest ongoing AMC would be my advice, so probably Vanguard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 TheFin

I've got a couple of Vanguard ETF's and echo the previous comment on low charges

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

To the OP's actual question..... Buy the one with lowest ongoing AMC would be my advice, so probably Vanguard.

I was looking at Vanguard ones but even they have 3 different S&P 500 US based ETFs and I couldn't figure out why because they looked very similar. Turns out they have a standard ETF, a growth ETF and a value ETF. The growth and value ETFs just track the growth companies and value companies as opposed to the whole S&P.

It looks like the Vanguard S&P 500 ETF is commision free on Degiro which is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭topper_harley2

I was looking at Vanguard ones but even they have 3 different S&P 500 US based ETFs and I couldn't figure out why because they looked very similar. Turns out they have a standard ETF, a growth ETF and a value ETF. The growth and value ETFs just track the growth companies and value companies as opposed to the whole S&P.

It looks like the Vanguard S&P 500 ETF is commision free on Degiro which is nice.

Done, Buy that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 TheFin

sob1467 wrote: »

2392 as I type

Advertisement