Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People leaving their dog on the street.

Options
  • 31-12-2016 12:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭

I'm just back from walking my JRT.
    A lab ran accross the road to us and my dog didn't like.
    She is not I'm heat before someone asks.
    The dog got agresive and my dog on lead was running around me.

I got her up and in someone's gate that I slammed closed on the labs head.

My leg is fecked at the best of times and is worse now,It took me 10 minutes to get 50 meters home.

I am going to write down any addresses that I fined out people leave there dogs out and report them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

Cdosrun wrote: »
    I got her up and in someone's gate that I slammed closed on the labs head.

You slammed a gate closed on a dogs head? Are you insane??
    My leg is fecked at the best of times and is worse now,It took me 10 minutes to get 50 meters home.

Awe my heart bleeds for ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

It sounds like it could well have been an accident given the fact that it was a stressful situation, but even if it was intentional I could see why (if an animal was aggressively pursuing) somebody might try and stave off an attack by hurting the approaching animal. People do uncharacteristic things when they're frightened. By the description of the incident, that dog was coming pretty relentlessly.

OP definitely do report that address, it's only a matter of time before the dog gets seriously hurt or harms someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

I'm just back from walking my JRT.
    my dog on lead was running around me. I got her up and in someone's gate that I slammed closed on the labs head.

Sounds like she put her dog into a garden and slammed the door closed on the lab's head when the lab went to follow her dog.

If a fight was at risk of breaking out, with a loose dog with no owner to help control it, then hell yes I would slam a gate on a dog's head to stop them getting to mine. I wouldn't have the physical strength to do any damage to it, and much more damage could happen from a fight.

This is why people shouldn't leave their dogs out if their dogs are going to approach or follow another dog if it barks at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Awe my heart bleeds for ya.

Put your monocle back on. If a strange unsupervised dog is in attack mode I would do what was necessary to protect me and my own, without thinking twice about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Cdosrun

I was facing into the garden as I slammed the gate and seen it hit the dog as I turned.
    It would be the owners fault if the dog got injured or if it got hit by a car as it ran accross the road to us.

Now I won't be able to walk my dog for a few weeks because of the idiot owner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

I was facing into the garden as I slammed the gate and seen it hit the dog as I turned.
    It would be the owners fault if the dog got injured or if it got hit by a car as it ran accross the road to us.

Now I won't be able to walk my dog for a few weeks because of the idiot owner.

In what way was the dog acting aggressively? All you've said is that it followed you....and you decided to hurt it. How cruel, it could be a stray looking for shelter.
    Please do contact the guards and local rescue and tell them how you slammed a gate on a dogs head.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Jesus wept lads, will ye climb down off your high horses please?
    The op said they were in trouble with their small dog, that the lab was acting aggressively, and has indicated that the gate hitting the lab's head wasn't a deliberate act.
    So, please remember that it is a requirement for all users to treat each other with respect.
    Do not reply to this post on-thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

In what way was the dog acting aggressively? All you've said is that it followed you....and you decided to hurt it. How cruel, it could be a stray looking for shelter.
    Please do contact the guards and local rescue and tell them how you slammed a gate on a dogs head.

No where did I say the dog followed us.
    I had my dog off lead as she is fine but when I seen an unaccompanied dog accross the road I called her,she sat was put on lead.So if it came to her and she didn't like it she might go into the road where cars go.
    This dog went for her liike a greyhound after a rabbit.

Now I have to wear medical boot and use crutch.

Hope that clears it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

I had my dog off lead as she is fine but when I seen an unaccompanied dog accross the road I called her,she sat was put on lead.So if it came to her and she didn't like it she might go into the road where cars go.

Hope that clears it up.

Well no but as per MOD instructions Ill be quiet ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Hope that clears it up.

It sounds like a horrible incident, and no, dogs shouldn't be allowed out to wander alone. Did it have a collar or any visible ID? Might be worthwhile reporting it to the warden, you never know, he may know exactly who owns him if he has had any previous reports or altercations.

Not that you did anything wrong, but from a dogs perspective, when you put a dog on a lead you may actually make it feel more vulnerable. Basically you take away the freedom to try and escape, and dogs, like humans, have a fight or flight instinct. By putting on the lead, the flight option was taken away and your dog may have emitted some body language signals that the other dog may have read as trouble. Posture, ear position, tail position, lip licking, all subtle signs that may have been read as an aggressive stance could have heightened tensions between them - even from a dog on the other side of the road.

Sometimes the better option is to pick your dog up if it's possible (grand with a jrt, not a bigger dog of course) It's an option I don't have with my dogs as they're all 25kg plus... but it is an option for small dogs, where their size means that a large dog could do more harm when they're in a skirmish on the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

Picking up a small dog can often lead a bigger dog to grab it. I've done it in a pinch, particularly when the opponent is another small dog, but a lab is easily big enough to just jump up and attack your dog in your arms. And yes, this has happened to me when I picked my dog up. I don't know why but it seems to make the other dog very excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Latatian wrote: »
    Picking up a small dog can often lead a bigger dog to grab it. I've done it in a pinch, particularly when the opponent is another small dog, but a lab is easily big enough to just jump up and attack your dog in your arms. And yes, this has happened to me when I picked my dog up. I don't know why but it seems to make the other dog very excited.

It's not always a solution, and I actually don't like it when people coming towards me lift up their dogs if I'm coming towards them (mine barely give passing dogs a glance) but I'd rather grab a small dog up out of harms way and even throw it over a garden wall for safety if there was a large dog bearing down on it. Who knows, the lab may not have bothered coming towards the JRT until she was put on lead and may have unwittingly sent out some warning signals.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Picking the smaller dog up can make the other more excitable alright, but I have picked up my own smaller dogs in the certain knowledge that if I left them on the ground, they'd have got fleeced. I'd rather take a few scratches and/or bites than have the smallie ripped open. And as BLM says, you can always get the smaller dog to safety.
    Plus, any injuries to humans are taken seriously by the wardens (if it comes to it) whilst they have no jurisdiction over a dog that injures another dog. So if I get injured by a dog whose owner subsequently acts the dick, I've a legit and strong complaint to go to the wardens with. And my small dog is safe.
    So, cost-benefit analysis... I'll always pick up a smallie when it's in danger from a bigger dog. But be prepared for some potential injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

OP do you mind me asking what this dog did to damage your leg??

I agree the dog should be kept under control and shouldn't be wandering around itself. And if you could find out where the dog lived, I would definitely be bringing it up with the owners. But I wouldn't go reporting EVERY dog who is loose in their garden etc. As you said, your dog was initially off lead. You trusted your dog to do so and maybe other people trust their dogs too (which may not always be the right thing to do). I don't think its fair to expect the warden to punish those who have their dogs out in their garden and yet your allowed to walk your dogs off lead. Plus I don't think the warden would waste their time visiting all these people unless an incident occurred (in fact, a lot of the time they don't do anything even where an incident has occurred) so I think you may be wasting your own time trying to do that.

But find this dogs owner, and have a word. If your leg issue is directly affected from what happened with this dog, I would be letting the owner know that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Ashbx wrote: »
    I don't think its fair to expect the warden to punish those who have their dogs out in their garden and yet your allowed to walk your dogs off lead.

It doesn't matter what the OP's dog was doing on whether it was on lead or not though - if the dog is able to leave the garden it's not under effectual control so for me yes - time to call the dog warden.

I strap our gate closed if my two are in the garden and at that they're always out with somebody under supervision. I often forget to take the strap off locking everyone out lol :o:p

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

tk123 wrote: »
    It doesn't matter what the OP's dog was doing on whether it was on lead or not though - if the dog is able to leave the garden it's not under effectual control so for me yes - time to call the dog warden.

I strap our gate closed if my two are in the garden and at that they're always out with somebody under supervision. I often forget to take the strap off locking everyone out lol :o:p

No by all means the OP should report this particular dog yes. But the OP said she was going to report ANY address who had their dogs out and report them and I don't think that's fair (nor is the dog warden going to do anything about it).

To me, they seem to be claiming that ANY dog left in their garden is not under control and that's not fair to assume.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

To me 'out' means loose in a public area with out supervision. The thread title says on the street. The OP never mentioned gardens in that context.

To me 'out' means loose in a public area with out supervision. The thread title says on the street. The OP never mentioned gardens in that context.

That is exactly it, we pass dogs in gardens all the time and no bother.

After 3 operations on my ankle over the years it is still very restricted in movement and the outside of my foot got injured some how when this happened.
    I didn't know I hurt it until I was in the garden and safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

My pup was attacked just before christmas while I was walking her. She was on the lead and we came around a corner to see a guy walking a large dog on a lead and a little jack russle type dog off the lead. The little dog tore across the road and before I could get my dog lifted he had bit her three times. Thank god he didn't do any damage but she was terrified even of me lifting her for a few days. Thank god it wasn't one of my kids out walking her as they could either have been hurt or more likely may have dropped the lead in panic.

The guy ran over to try to get his dog but it was too little too late as far as I care. I gave him both barrels and left him in no doubt what will happen if I see it out unsecured in our residential area again. The dog warden will absolutely be called even just if I see it running free.

Advertisement