Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting an apartment and subletting the other room

Options
  • 30-12-2016 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

hi

I want to rent a 3 bedroom apartment in my name only, and sublet the other two rooms. Assuming i have permission from the landlord, what other factors should i consider.
    Is there any restrictions on what i can charge for the other rooms.
    I assume i would be considered a landlord Do i have any additional tax requirements?
    Is it better to a sub lease agreement with the other tenants or should i just have lodgers ?

any advice would be greatly appreciated

regards
    Mike

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Denny_Crane

You would be the Landlord for the other tenants. If you're willing to take responsibility for the entire rent then you can claim full relief on the rent you get tax free, up to €14,000 pa It still needs to be declared though.

As a landlord I would be checking very carefully you could meet the full rent without sub letting.

For the sake of clarity subleasing to lodgers, keep them on licencee agreements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

mikelowery wrote: »
    hi

I want to rent a 3 bedroom apartment in my name only, and sublet the other two rooms. Assuming i have permission from the landlord, what other factors should i consider.
    Is there any restrictions on what i can charge for the other rooms.
    I assume i would be considered a landlord Do i have any additional tax requirements?
    Is it better to a sub lease agreement with the other tenants or should i just have lodgers ?

any advice would be greatly appreciated

regards
    Mike

I don't know if you can find a ll to do this. But if you are taking in lodgers you will also be responsible for damages etc to the property so factor this in as well. If you are doing it for profit I don't see it working out the 14k tax free is max which is approx 1100 per month. You go over this the entire amount is taxable. In Dublin 3 beds are 1800 and more..

Advertisement