Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soft reset XPS 13 help!

Options
  • 30-12-2016 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,417 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

I have a Dell xps 13 that won't boot. It'll go as far as the dell logo and then nothing. Keyboard lights up, but no fan noise or anything else.

I've checked a few places and lots of people suggest that in general for laptops the best thing to do is pop the battery, try with just AC and, if that works, stick battery back in.

Unfortunately the battery is not easily accessible in this laptop, I'd need some star screwdrivers I think to pop it. Is there anything else I can do?

Cheers...

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

How old is the laptop? Is it still under warranty? Were there any other symptoms before it failed to boot? Crashing? Blue screen etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

How old is the laptop? Is it still under warranty? Were there any other symptoms before it failed to boot? Crashing? Blue screen etc?

Can you access the bios before the Dell logo? Or try booting to safe mode to see if it gets to the desktop that way

• Registered Users Posts: 10,417 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

mordeith wrote: »
    Can you access the bios before the Dell logo? Or try booting to safe mode to see if it gets to the desktop that way

Bios = yes. Haven't tried safe mode, will try now.

Laptop is only a few months old, still under warranty. It's my work laptop, so gas just been in a bag turned off for last few days..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

dulpit wrote: »
    Bios = yes. Haven't tried safe mode, will try now.

Laptop is only a few months old, still under warranty. It's my work laptop, so gas just been in a bag turned off for last few days..

If it is still under warranty then do not go taking it apart. You could void the warranty doing so.

Okay, no joy on safe mode - windows 10 will not allow it unless I get to OS (which I can't) or if I have a windows boot disc (which I don't have to hand). Any ideas????

• Advertisement

So randomly I tried to turn on laptop today and it worked fine. Strange...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

dulpit wrote: »
    So randomly I tried to turn on laptop today and it worked fine. Strange...

Could be slightly loose ram module

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Did you try running the ePSA Diagnostics ? Next time it happens tap F12 after power on, do you see the SSD as a UEFI boot option ?
    Select Diagnostics from this menu and run it and the full memory test when asked.

You say it gets to the Dell Logo, do you see the spinning logo underneath it ?

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

mordeith wrote: »
    Could be slightly loose ram module

The XPS 13" has it's RAM integrated onto the system board. The SSD, however, is a replaceable part so could come loose though I've never seen this happen unless the user has been at it.

Ken

Advertisement