Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Importing classic from UK query

• 30-12-2016 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10 ✭✭✭ GrumpyJocks

Hi All,

Hoping someone can help with my query.... I am looking at importing a classic car from UK (over 30 years old). The car was imported from the USA to the UK earlier this year and US Title and import duties paid by the UK seller already. However the car has not yet been registered in the UK.

My question is...does the car need to be registered in the UK before I can import back to Ireland?

Also is there any other costs relating to the fact it was imported from USA back to UK that I could possibly be liable for?

Last query...the fact the car has no original history from USA...should this set off alarm bells?

Tried finding the answer to my query in previous posts but couldn't find one. Apologies if its a repeated question.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,095 ✭✭✭✭ elperello

If the car was UK registered you would just have to pay €200 flat rate VRT. It's more complicated if you import direct from outside the EU.

I dug up this old thread which might help - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055061189.

As for the history it would be nice to have some but I wouldn't reject the car because it's missing. Get someone competent to check the car and decide to buy or not on the condition.

What is the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ✭✭✭ GrumpyJocks

Thanks for your reply.

The bit I wasn't sure about was whether the car needs to be registered in the UK first before I import back to Ireland. The car came from the USA and had Duty & Customs paid but still hasn't been registered or MOTed in UK. Does this need to be done before I can ship car back to Ireland?

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭ Isambard

I think you'd better ask Customs.

Advertisement