Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help, which laptop to buy?

Options
  • 30-12-2016 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi I need a laptop for basic use- internet browsing, online shopping and to store photos. Don't need it to watch movies or for online gaming. Don't want to spend big money as I don't see the point. I looked at two HP laptops in the sale both for €399 but I don't know the difference. The first one is HP Pavillion 4gb 256 gb SSD and the second one is HP 15-ba054sa 4gb 1 tb HDD. What is the difference between SSD and HDD and which if any would you go for considering my basic requirements. Any advice would be appreciated as I don't really understand computers. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Lolococo wrote: »
    Hi I need a laptop for basic use- internet browsing, online shopping and to store photos. Don't need it to watch movies or for online gaming. Don't want to spend big money as I don't see the point. I looked at two HP laptops in the sale both for €399 but I don't know the difference. The first one is HP Pavillion 4gb 256 gb SSD and the second one is HP 15-ba054sa 4gb 1 tb HDD. What is the difference between SSD and HDD and which if any would you go for considering my basic requirements. Any advice would be appreciated as I don't really understand computers. Thanks

SSD is much faster boot time and would be quicker to read and write data. Downside is usually lack of storage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Lolococo wrote: »

Just to follow on from the previous post, if that was the choice I had, I would definitely go for the SSD and sign up for one of those Cloud services, which will synchronise your photos i.e. as soon as you upload the photos on to your laptop, they will be stored on the Cloud as well. I have 400GB of photos and videos and it is a real concern for me, as to how I can protect them from being lost. Cloud services offer the way for around about €100 a year.

p.s. re the Pavilion, is it possible to get a second HDD installed, which would let you store your photos on, and keep the SSD for the programs & fast boot up ? Worth asking, HDD is not expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I prefer a read hardrive with larger storage space , ssd =faster boot up time,
    Most Laptops have one drive compartment ,so you can only install one drive.
    i would go for the 1tb 1000gig drive laptop .
    You are not editing 3d models ,doing video editing etc you hardly notice the write speed of a drive.once you boot up windows.

Advertisement