Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreamcast - VGA to HDMI Adapter

Options
  • 30-12-2016 5:50am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 470 ✭✭

Good morning,

I notice newer TVs seem to be doing away with the VGA port. I am looking into finding something that will allow me to connect the Dreamcast to a new TV and still get a good quality picture.

I have a VGA cable already but the TV does not have a VGA port so I am looking to find a workaround. I am thinking of buying one of these VGA to HDMI adapters:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1080P-Audio-VGA-to-HDMI-HD-HDTV-Video-Adapter-Converter-Box-Computer-Laptop-UK-/361009252242?hash=item540dd40792:g:AywAAOSwq7JULJUK

I am wondering if anyone has had this issue and if they have been successful using one of those adapters? I am not technically minded but I presume whatever signal goes from the Dreamcast will still be supported by modern TVs? If you have an adapter you recommend or an alternate method for this then please share.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Should be fine. Have gotten a few HDMI-to-VGA adapters in the past, and as the signal is digital, it works, so don't see why the other way wouldn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Make sure you've the correct power adapter for a device like that.
    I have a similar setup with retrospectively connecting a ps3 HDMI to RCA rgb connector (lols big brick of a telly)
    It doesn't need the usb power adapter for the ps3 HDMI signal as I can plug into the ps3 & the HDMI out from the ps3 has enough juice to power the converter, however when I go to plug in like a Chromecast or smaller HDMI devices I need to use the power adapter to boost the signal output.. just a note to think about that a lot would overlook.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,851 ✭✭✭Steve X2

It's worth remembering that VGA is analogue and HDMI/DVI is digital. So when using converters there will be some added lag that may or may not be noticeable (depending on what you are plugged in to and what you are doing).

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

This is a big problem now for modern TVs. As you say, a VGA ports are gone on all higher end models.

I use this adapter https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00K808RVQ as it has a 3.5mm audio jack to connect to the audio out of the SLG/syncstrike kit so the sound is piped out to HDMI too. No noticeable lag.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Most mid/high end TVs these days still have some way of inputting component, VGA->Component cable *might* also do the trick if you want to keep a HDMI port free

• Advertisement
Advertisement