Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friend from rehab dead due to alcohol

Options
  • 30-12-2016 3:06am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I just found out this afternoon, just before travelling back to Ireland after staying with my sister in Holland for Christmas, that a guy I became fast friends with passed away last night from his alhoholism. He really battled his demons, and we tried to keep in regular touch, and the last few phone calls I was concerned that he was inebriated.

I am still in shock. This guy was such a decent chap. This is now the 5th person I know from my multiple rehabs who is now dead. Alcohol is a vicious, evil demon which sucks the life - literally - out of people.

I still feel a bit numb. But I do feel that I need to reinforce my recovery as much as possible. I don't want to die young.

RIP buddy. :(

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I just found out this afternoon, just before travelling back to Ireland after staying with my sister in Holland for Christmas, that a guy I became fast friends with passed away last night from his alhoholism. He really battled his demons, and we tried to keep in regular touch, and the last few phone calls I was concerned that he was inebriated.

I am still in shock. This guy was such a decent chap. This is now the 5th person I know from my multiple rehabs who is now dead. Alcohol is a vicious, evil demon which sucks the life - literally - out of people.

I still feel a bit numb. But I do feel that I need to reinforce my recovery as much as possible. I don't want to die young.

RIP buddy. :(

Sorry to hear about your friend. It's such a horrible disgusting disease. If your in recovery and you've negotiated your way through Christmas safely then I salute your strength and will power. Your friend is trouble free now but what a **** that he couldn't stay here and enjoy this wonderful life with us.
    Happy New Year and continued good health and sobriety to you for 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

Very sorry to hear about your friendsOP. I hope that this will give you the strength to become the person you want to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Sorry to hear about your friend Jupiterkid, It shows in case we did not know already just how deadly alcoholic abuse is, Hopefully you gain extra strength from this sad time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

Sorry to hear about your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Ayuntamiento

So sorry for your loss. I have a friend that I'm really worried about too. Do you mind me asking what they passed away from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Very sorry for your loss. All the best for you heading into 2017.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Thanks everyone. He was just turned 40 and leaves behind 2 kids and a partner. I was on the phone to her today. As you can imagine, she is distraught and devastated.

The toxicology results aren't in yet but it looks like alcohol poisoning.

Alcohol is a killer.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

My condolences on the loss of your friend. It's a heartbreaking illness, and takes so many beautiful people. I know a lot of people who have died over the years, and is why never once in the many years now since I came back from my own relapse do I ever take the gift of sobriety for granted. Not one day.

I have carried those who've died in my heart, always and forever. I learn a lot from the living, but I have learned just as much from those chronic alcoholics like me who've died. I wish you a long and happy life in sobriety Jupiter, you've surely paid a very large price for your seat ;)
    Glad you're with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 4976340

Hi, I am really sorry to hear about your friend. I have been through this and similar problems with my family and some people just don't make it. Please stay strong.
    I am on the brink of deciding to enter either St John of Gods or St Patricks Hospital for Stress/Anxiety. I have bad memories of St Patricks hospital as I visited my bi-polar mother and brother there over many years, some of them in the high security units. I am assuming the Situational Stress and Anxiety that I suffer with now for the last few months would stop deteriorating with some help. I can't find much on the internet. You may have experience of one or other of these places, would you mind please sharing it with me. I am sorry to ask during this sad time but I can't find a more suitable recent poster nor can I figure out how to start a new thread.
    Thanks and condolences

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭ASoberThought

Sorry to hear about your friend. Once again a strong reminder of how sobriety must be an absolute priority for those of us with addiction issues.
    Take care

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Joe Hill

Very sad to hear.
    Hope your doing ok.

Advertisement