Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any way to tell if a pets microchip has been scanned

Options
  • 30-12-2016 12:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭

As the title says is there any way of knowing if a pets microchip has ever been scanned ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

No, none whatsoever.

Why would you even want to know?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Whilst the actual scanning process isn't traceable as it stands currently, the entry of the scanned number into a database search is.... Potentially.
    If you report your chipped pet as missing to the database, they will red flag that microchip, so that if the number is entered into the system from that point on, it raises alarms to database admin.
    I hope that makes sense :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

No, none whatsoever.

Why would you even want to know?

If your dog was stolen, it would be highly useful to know that the chip had been scanned ;)

Not really. You already know your dog's gone, and if any thief is bothered enough to scan the chip, they can probably arrange to cut it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

It would be if they could give the area it was scanned.

There's a dog tag that does this- if the tag gets scanned it emails you telling you where (roughly) and when it was scanned.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Not really. You already know your dog's gone, and if any thief is bothered enough to scan the chip, they can probably arrange to cut it out.

They might sell it on and the new, unsuspecting owner takes it to the vet who then scans it. The thief can be long gone with the money so wouldn't care less if the original owner's chip is found.

Yeah, but if the new unsuspecting owner doesn't know the dog had a chip, then the vet will ask where they got it from, the new owner won't have any paperwork, the vet checks the database and contacts the registered owner to confirm the situation. Original owner says the dog was stolen, vet says it's been found, dog's returned to original owner.

If the vet isn't following that process, it undermines the whole system.

Besides, the OP still hasn't said why they'd want to know. The dog might still be sitting on the sofa ... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Yeah, but if the new unsuspecting owner doesn't know the dog had a chip, then the vet will ask where they got it from, the new owner won't have any paperwork, the vet checks the database and contacts the registered owner to confirm the situation. Original owner says the dog was stolen, vet says it's been found, dog's returned to original owner.

If the vet isn't following that process, it undermines the whole system.

Besides, the OP still hasn't said why they'd want to know. The dog might still be sitting on the sofa ... :pac:

Not necessarily, not all pounds or rescues scan dogs, I know they should, but I've had dogs into me from pounds that said no chip yet my vet found one. If a dog has done its 5 days stray time at a pound then been rehomed, there is no automatic right for the previous owner to have the dog back. Or, if the dog has been with someone else for 366 days, legally the dog becomes their property, not the original owners.

muddypaws wrote: »
    Not necessarily, not all pounds or rescues scan dogs, I know they should, but I've had dogs into me from pounds that said no chip yet my vet found one. If a dog has done its 5 days stray time at a pound then been rehomed, there is no automatic right for the previous owner to have the dog back. Or, if the dog has been with someone else for 366 days, legally the dog becomes their property, not the original owners.

If it was my dog that was stolen (and I was sure I hadn't just let it stray :rolleyes: ) then there's no way I'd settle for someone else claiming ownership just because a rescue centre was negligent in scanning at the time the dog was picked up.

Which brings us back to the wording of the OP's question: has the chip been scanned? Could be that the OP is in the same situation as you - they've acquired a dog with a chip that should have been scanned but wasn't, and they want to cause a bit of a stink about it ... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

If it was my dog that was stolen (and I was sure I hadn't just let it stray :rolleyes: ) then there's no way I'd settle for someone else claiming ownership just because a rescue centre was negligent in scanning at the time the dog was picked up.

Which brings us back to the wording of the OP's question: has the chip been scanned? Could be that the OP is in the same situation as you - they've acquired a dog with a chip that should have been scanned but wasn't, and they want to cause a bit of a stink about it ... :)

But if a dog was adopted direct from a pound - not a rescue centre - after doing its 5 days, then legally the dog is available for rehoming, you may be lucky in a court case, but you'd be going up against the council, who probably have deeper pockets than most owners in this situation. You would always hope that new owners would have the empathy to allow the original owners to have the dog back, but if they have formed a bond as well, they may not and the law would be on their side. Hopefully now that the new chip laws are in place this will never happen again ;)

One of the dogs that came to me from the pound, having done its 5 days had a chip, still registered to the breeder, I phoned him asked if he was going to take the dog back "No, why should I" was his answer. He had no record of who he had sold the pup to, and they had never bothered to change the chip to their name. The pound may well have scanned and found the chip, but most of them have a policy of not returning dogs to breeders, so they didn't bother contacting them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement