Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't get Cortana to work

Options
  • 29-12-2016 9:33pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I just upgraded to Win 10 from 8. Wanted to try Cornan but it gives me an error, says its not supported in my region. Its weird as I upgraded a laptop a while ago and it worked fine. Does it work OK in Ireland, is there a settings I need to change?

Comments

Not supported on Irish regional settings. Should work if you set it to UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Every mention of Cortana and Windows 10 states its pretty much feeding info back to MS. Wouldn't be using it myself even if it did work over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Venom wrote: »
    Every mention of Cortana and Windows 10 states its pretty much feeding info back to MS. Wouldn't be using it myself even if it did work over here.

As does Siri to Apple

As does Google to Google (does it have a name?)

As does Alexa to Amazon

They're all feeding everything back to their masters ... but if you want voice search/control capabilities it is something you have to tolerate.

Personally I have Google's voice thingy turned off as I don't like the notion that it is still listening, just waiting for the "OK Google" phrase. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

People must imagine it as some aul lad sitting in a dark room with some headphones on smoking a cigarette going through all your recording. "Oh, I see he's checking the weather again"...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Zascar wrote: »
    People must imagine it as some aul lad sitting in a dark room with some headphones on smoking a cigarette going through all your recording. "Oh, I see he's checking the weather again"...

It reminds me of the brouhaha one of the big apps triggered off when they update their T&Cs to say something along the lines of "we have the right to scan your photos", everyone kicked off saying they didn't need it, shouldn't have it.

Turns out they needed to put that in because they gave people the option to select a photo from their phone to use as a profile picture.

I've yet to see a major company caught doing something nefarious with users data. Fling ads at you, yes, but anything else? No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

So I took Cortana for a spin on my Windows 10 laptop over the Christmas.

Playing around with it, the novelty factor soon wore off. I read somewhere about getting Spotify working with it, so I gave it a go. Playing next track is rather cumbersome (previous track doesn't work, for some reason), so not willing to give up, I decided to try and increase the volume.

So I issue the command "Hey Cortana, increase volume to 100%" at which point it opened a very dodgy looking website promising to increase your sperm volume by 100%. :eek:

And that was the last time I used Cortana.

Advertisement