Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Free" fuel voucher with insured repairs on radio advert

Options
  • 29-12-2016 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭

I have partially heard an advert on the radio a few times now. The word "muppets" comes up which some may recognise.

It appeared to be blatantly saying if you get in a crash and are making a claim against another driver then come to use and you will get a "free fuel voucher" worth 100euro.

Obviously this is not free and is is really paid for by the other drivers insurance company.

Is this legal? has it happened in the past? if it is legal is there anything insurance companies can do to stop this blatant scam? I guess they just say the price paid was too high?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If you're making an insurance claim against another driver then you can choose where to have the car repaired; you don't have to use the insurance companies choice.
    So for the crash repair centre to make a sales offer is completely legal. If you don't want to use them then go elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

forgot about this thread.
    kbannon wrote: »
    So for the crash repair centre to make a sales offer is completely legal. If you don't want to use them then go elsewhere.
    surely there has to be some level of cop on. If I get a tiny scratch and they offer me €10,000 in vouchers for fuel or other repairs I imagine the insurance company paying would take issue.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The crash repair centre look after some of the paperwork for you. They won't repair the car under the insurance claim if the claim is rejected.
    They presumably cost the €100 out of their margin against the claim.

Advertisement