Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delete

Options
  • 29-12-2016 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Delete

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Surely at 24 weeks you "look" visbly pregnant?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Amylouperdue

Stheno wrote: »
    Surely at 24 weeks you "look" visbly pregnant?

No not really thank god like if people don't know then they would not notice, can hide it well with different clothes etc

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

No not really thank god like if people don't know then they would not notice, can hide it well with different clothes etc

Personally i think its a deceitful thing to do. If you get hired youll have a training period then be heading off on maternity leave shortly afterwards.

At least if you say it and are hired its out in the open

There are also health and safety concerns

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

I would 'hide' it - as in, don't mention it. Legally companies cannot discriminate on grounds of pregnancy so it wouldn't affect the outcome either way. I would then tell them at job offer stage. Although I would worry they have a media alert set up and got notified of their name mentioned in this thread. Remove the company name pronto

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Amylouperdue

Oh I never thought about that, done thanks!! And yes I think might do that, although I don't want to be deciphful either :/ although I would work up until my due date! do you think I would get a job at 24 weeks if I told them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

Oh I never thought about that, done thanks!! And yes I think might do that, although I don't want to be deciphful either :/ although I would work up until my due date! do you think I would get a job at 24 weeks if I told them?

I think they might discriminate even though it's illegal. Hence I would tell at job offer stage not at the interview. I don't think it's deceitful as it shouldn't affect the outcome either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Stheno wrote: »
    Personally i think its a deceitful thing to do. If you get hired youll have a training period then be heading off on maternity leave shortly afterwards.

At least if you say it and are hired its out in the open

There are also health and safety concerns

Legally she does not have to tell them she is pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Staplor

I worked in a place wherea maternity cover position was taken by a pregnant woman, she worked about a week and then was off to have her baby. Go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭MentalMario

I think they might discriminate even though it's illegal. Hence I would tell at job offer stage not at the interview. I don't think it's deceitful as it shouldn't affect the outcome either way.

They definitely would discriminate, and rightly so.

Let's say that the job doesn't start for another week or two, and there's 4 weeks training. They're putting a month's worth of training (and money) into training you to get 2 months max work before you leave for maternity. If you do return, they'll have to put another 4 weeks training into you again. Not really fair on a company.

But like has been said above, you don't need to disclose it and you shouldn't if you want to have a chance of getting it.

January wrote: »
    Legally she does not have to tell them she is pregnant.

If she is asked if she plans to take leave on the next six months and says no how would that work out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

They cannot ask you that. It would be an illegal question, like enquiring about family status, your ethnic background, etc...
    Same thing would apply to any woman getting pregnant on the job - company's trained someone and then they're out in leave for 6 months, where they'd need to be replaced for that period. Do the interview and hopefully you'll get the job. May as well tell them you're expecting at contract stage, they won't be able to retract the offer without opening themselves to legal action.

Advertisement