Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powerliftng intro

Options
  • 29-12-2016 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi, i was hoping for a bit of advice.
    The last few years i have been regularly lifting and eating ok but ive gotten stuck in a bit of a comfort zone. I havent gained any weight or size in the last year and my training has been very much the same.
    Im looking to make things interesting again and for that reason im looking towards powerlifting and strongmen gyms. Not to compete (just yet) but even just to mix things up and get some more mass built up and enjoy training again. Im based in lucan but anywhere close to rathmines would be excellent as i work mad shifts. Can anybody help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,575 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Raw in Rathmines is a good gym. Plenty of powerlifting training done there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

Raw in Rathmines is a good gym. Plenty of powerlifting training done there.

what if you are not a member of a gym and train at home. anyway to get involved in comps?

guile4582 wrote: »
    what if you are not a member of a gym and train at home. anyway to get involved in comps?

Absolutely. Plenty of lads there that weren't affiliated to a gym team. I wasn't. There are plenty of people that may be training in a gym but are essentially the same as someone that trains at home insofar as they have their programme, go in and do their training and leave. You don't need to be a member of a gym to do a comp.

You just need to become a member, enter on time and know the rules :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

I'm living in lucan myself and go to revolution fitness out in Glasnevin. They have a Powerlifting team there. I've made some big progress there in the last year.

Absolutely. Plenty of lads there that weren't affiliated to a gym team. I wasn't. There are plenty of people that may be training in a gym but are essentially the same as someone that trains at home insofar as they have their programme, go in and do their training and leave. You don't need to be a member of a gym to do a comp.

You just need to become a member, enter on time and know the rules :)

thanks for this..hmm suppose where I am coming from is that I wouldn't mind starting off with fellow beginners. Maybe Southside somewhere, pay per go or something. I know this was being done in Glasnevin but the commute would be too much I wouldn't be able to commit.

i am deadlifting pretty heavy at the moment (so i think anyway!!) and i enjoy it

• Advertisement

thanks for this..hmm suppose where I am coming from is that I wouldn't mind starting off with fellow beginners. Maybe Southside somewhere, pay per go or something. I know this was being done in Glasnevin but the commute would be too much I wouldn't be able to commit.

i am deadlifting pretty heavy at the moment (so i think anyway!!) and i enjoy it

Enjoying it is the main thing. Heavy is relative and there will always be someone who's heavy is very heavy relative to yours so it's just about improving your own numbers.

I don't know of any group sessions that would do PAYG. You could just find a good trainer in a gym that suits and the commitment is what you want it to be once you tell the trainer that.

Enjoying it is the main thing. Heavy is relative and there will always be someone who's heavy is very heavy relative to yours so it's just about improving your own numbers.

I don't know of any group sessions that would do PAYG. You could just find a good trainer in a gym that suits and the commitment is what you want it to be once you tell the trainer that.

Have we identified a niche!
    like swimming clubs rent out lanes in public pools etc.
    be great if we started like a weightlifting club meet once a week, everyone does there own training in the other time.

meet up - check technique - help each other on etc

just a thought

Have we identified a niche!
    like swimming clubs rent out lanes in public pools etc.
    be great if we started like a weightlifting club meet once a week, everyone does there own training in the other time.

meet up - check technique - help each other on etc

just a thought

Works for some alright. Group of lads that do that in the gym I'm in anyway.

suppose I am appealing then to any trainers out there who reads this and has a connection already with a gym in southside Dublin. Sandyford and surrounding areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

Works for some alright. Group of lads that do that in the gym I'm in anyway.

TGL 4 LYF!

• Advertisement

CWF wrote: »
    TGL 4 LYF!

#dafinga

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

Haha that's it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭COH

The first rule of TGL: No talking about Da Finga :mad:

Advertisement