Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New TV - where to start?

Options
  • 29-12-2016 12:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭

Ok I bought a LG 42LS3450 a few years back. It replaced an older Hyundai(yes Hyundai) TV i had which I bought many years before. I had the Hyundai as a back up. Recently moved house and when moving the Hyundai the screen was smashed. So I am looking for new main tv and use current LG as back up.

I need a bigger screen and to be honest I have no idea where to start. Connected to main tv is Sky Q and Fire Stick. I am not massively worried about having the best pic just once I get something decent that will last and have at least 2 x HDMI.

So where do I begin? I seen Harvey Norman doing a 55" Finlux for 399 and was thinking about this as seems great price but is this any good?

I seen thread on Hi-Sense off Amazon but don't think I need to even look at 4k or anythign yet? any help would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Do you have a good distance from say your sofa to the tv. I have seen people putting 49"+ in small rooms. Your eyes cant physically see the whole screen so a waste of money. If size matters then go a good size. Personally Id like at the ghz. Things like smart and 4k honestly don't attract me as id have a similar setup to yourself so don't really need it. have you a budget. 1 other thing. don't really expect to get the 10-15 years you prob got from the last tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    Do you have a good distance from say your sofa to the tv. I have seen people putting 49"+ in small rooms. Your eyes cant physically see the whole screen so a waste of money. If size matters then go a good size. Personally Id like at the ghz. Things like smart and 4k honestly don't attract me as id have a similar setup to yourself so don't really need it. have you a budget. 1 other thing. don't really expect to get the 10-15 years you prob got from the last tv.

Room is about 10m long, so the couch is a good bit back from the tv.

Dont expect it to last as long as before. Just looking to invest in something decent.

Dont have budget really but dont want to spend a fortune as I have 2 young kids so it could be smashed in pieces

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Jesus that's a big sitting room, id recommend a projector :)

In recent years Ive had a relatively cheap €700 49" LG, 100 hz. When I got it, it was breath taking. Upgraded to a similar size Samsung at 600hz and the difference is night and day, was around €1000.

Im sure others will have better explanations but I don't use the Smart option and the content im viewing isn't in 4k but can still see a massive difference, especially with sport

Advertisement