Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quadcopter suggestions? <200

Options
  • 28-12-2016 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    I am looking to get an easy to manage quad(drone) with a decent camera and reliable.
    I had a syma x5sw, liked it, FPV camera seemed kinda pointless, and the image quality was very meh.

Any suggestions, lets say 200 is my top limit.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

If you can find them in an Irish shop, HUBSAN. A while back, I would have recommended maplins electronics stores, but I have developed a dim view of them lately. Shop around. You will be paying >100 anyway, for a model with a decent camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Here is a link to a Hubsan H501S which seems to get good reviews.
    The site is Chinese but they seem to have a European warehouse cos I ordered stuff from them about 2 weeks ago and it arrived in 8 days.

http://www.banggood.com/Hubsan-X4-H501S-5_8G-FPV-With-1080P-HD-Camera-Brushless-Motor-GPS-RC-Quadcopter-RTF-p-1004657.html?rmmds=search

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭PopIT

Thanks for the reply folks but a bit outside my budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

PopIT wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply folks but a bit outside my budget.
    huh? Have'nt seen you post on this thread before??

EDIT: You posted in the wrong thread I see.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Vizzy wrote: »
    Here is a link to a Hubsan H501S which seems to get good reviews.
    The site is Chinese but they seem to have a European warehouse cos I ordered stuff from them about 2 weeks ago and it arrived in 8 days.

http://www.banggood.com/Hubsan-X4-H501S-5_8G-FPV-With-1080P-HD-Camera-Brushless-Motor-GPS-RC-Quadcopter-RTF-p-1004657.html?rmmds=search

Unsure if you got your quad yet?

I can't recommend this one enough.. It's really fairly priced at around 200 euro, has GPS Hold, FPV, Follow me, it's 1080p and Return to Home etc.

It's very easy to fly too, with GPS on it basically flies itself. With GPS off it's quick. I went for the Advanced/Professional version which has a 1km range and a hobby grade controller for 235 euro. It's my first quad, have it just over a month.

Here's a clip from this morning..

and one from Mornington Beach..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

tedpan wrote: »
    Unsure if you got your quad yet?

I can't recommend this one enough.. It's really fairly priced at around 200 euro, has GPS Hold, FPV, Follow me, it's 1080p and Return to Home etc.

It's very easy to fly too, with GPS on it basically flies itself. With GPS off it's quick. I went for the Advanced/Professional version which has a 1km range and a hobby grade controller for 235 euro. It's my first quad, have it just over a month.

Hey, I ended up keeping the Syma x5, its basically what I had but with altitude hold. I stayed at the low end of the market to test if I think I will enjoy this long term or if its just a fad for me.
    I really enjoy flying it, BUT I do want to ask you some questions about yours:

How does it handle at altitude and some wind ? My one basically I am too scared to lose it once it goes up past a high tree.

How is the FPV view on the screen? mine is very choppy and cuts out loads.

Do you think yours could handle Urban(ish) areas, like going to altitude in a open park without the fear of god 200+ is about to nose dive into the river because the signal was iffy

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

It handles very well at height when you have the GPS hold on. When it's off, it will hold altitude well but in wind will drift.

The FPV works well. Have tested it at 450m away from me and that's where I noticed a bit of choppiness, but overall works pretty well.

I wouldn't worry at all in an open park and using the return to home feature hasn't failed me yet when losing visibility of the quad.

There are loads of vids on YouTube where users have flown well over a km away.

It really is a great all round quad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

cool, thanks for the info!, mind if I ask where you got yours from ? I like to buy off amazon but they dont sell direct so i have no come back should there be issues

Advertisement