Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chromecast audio and car

Options
  • 28-12-2016 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53,942 ✭✭✭✭

Hoping someone can help

For chromecast audio. Does one need an internet connection for it to work.

What I was thinking of installing it in a car without having any internet connection.

connect chrome cast to aux connector in car stereo and use cigarette lighter for power

enable hotspot on the phone, go to chromecast app, find the chromecast audio, set it up there.

Then using something like Plex to stream local music and bobs your uncle it works in the car

Would that work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Headshot wrote: »
    Hoping someone can help

For chromecast audio. Does one need an internet connection for it to work.

What I was thinking of installing it in a car without having any internet connection.

connect chrome cast to aux connector in car stereo and use cigarette lighter for power

enable hotspot on the phone, go to chromecast app, find the chromecast audio, set it up there.

Then using something like Plex to stream local music and bobs your uncle it works in the car

Would that work?
    Why not just plug the phone into radio via the aux input, no need to overthink it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,942 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Why not just plug the phone into radio via the aux input, no need to overthink it.

Wireless part is an important one

I know a bluetooth aux connector would a whole lot more sense but we dont have one

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭DopeTech

What car is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Chromecast audio needs an internet connection, so Bluetooth may be what you are after, ive one of these ordered for the missus for podcasts, might be worth a look

http://www.gearbest.com/car-charger/pp_280751.html?wid=21

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

So instead of connecting directly to the aux you want to connect a chromecast to the aux and play wirelessly? Doesn't make any sense to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭DopeTech

degsie wrote: »
    So instead of connecting directly to the aux you want to connect a chromecast to the aux and play wirelessly? Doesn't make any sense to me.

So he can take the phone up in his hand when he wants without wires connected,makes perfect sense. In theory it would work with a hotspot from your phone but that would cause additional battery drain.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,942 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

ED E wrote: »

Funny I ordered that last night, just pain in the hole I have to wait for it. I've been ringing a few shops around munster and nothing about stocking a AUX bluetooth Adaptor or even a Car Bluetooth Charger Adapter and nothing so ended up getting it from Amazon.

This is an incar charger which again couldnt find any shop in Munster stocking it

Im going to give the chromecast audio a go anyway and see does it work

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Sure, but if planning on using CC audio you still need a power cable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Funny I ordered that last night, just pain in the hole I have to wait for it. I've been ringing a few shops around munster and nothing about stocking a AUX bluetooth Adaptor or even a Car Bluetooth Charger Adapter and nothing so ended up getting it from Amazon.

This is an incar charger which again couldnt find any shop in Munster stocking it

Im going to give the chromecast audio a go anyway and see does it work

The Chromecast audio won't work. It doesn't stream from the phone, it streams directly from the internet and only uses the phone as a kind of remote control.

McGaggs wrote: »
    The Chromecast audio won't work. It doesn't stream from the phone, it streams directly from the internet and only uses the phone as a kind of remote control.

You can use mobile internet hotspot from the phone, so why wouldn't that work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Doubt that would work, your phone would need to be connected wirelessly to the hotspot it's broadcasting which isn't possible with one radio

• Registered Users Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

The phone has to be on the same wifi connection as the Chromecast. Since it'll be on the mobile network, it won't work.

Doubt that would work, your phone would need to be connected wirelessly to the hotspot it's broadcasting which isn't possible with one radio

Nah, it doesnt, its the infrastructure device. By implication it'll receive any bCast packets the CC sends out for discovery.

It'd work, but bluetooth is by far far the better solution.

The phone has to be on the same wifi connection as the Chromecast. Since it'll be on the mobile network, it won't work.

But the CC will be be on the same network as the phone client side, just both will have traffic routed via the hotspot to the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

ED E wrote: »
    Nah, it doesnt, its the infrastructure device. By implication it'll receive any bCast packets the CC sends out for discovery.

It'd work, but bluetooth is by far far the better solution.

Does an Android hotspot not have AP isolation enabled by default, I'm pretty sure it does. The phone may see the discovery packets, but will not be able to send packets to the Chromecast to play content

Does an Android hotspot not have AP isolation enabled by default, I'm pretty sure it does. The phone may see the discovery packets, but will not be able to send packets to the Chromecast to play content

If you were talking about 2x phones and a CC you'd be correct. Client isolation doesnt apply to the AP itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

This works folks as I have set this up.
    1. Set up chromecast on your wireless network at home.
    2. Change your hotspot on your phone to the same name as your home wireless network.
    3. Turn on phone wireless hotspot.

OR

1. Set up chromecast using another phone hotspot
    2. Change your hotspot on the second phone to the same name as your own phone hostpot.
    3. Turn off the second phone hostpot.
    3. Turn on your phone wireless hotspot.

You will need power. I use a portable battery pack which works good and its is all hidden.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I have one of those on the way over from China, you can also plug a usb stick into it and play music of it with their app. Not sure how it's going to workout! As long as my phone can be in a nice spot, without cables, and I can play music through bluetooth on the radio I think it will work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement