Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

index funds

Options
  • 28-12-2016 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi, I would like to start investing in index funds but I have no idea where to do that.
    I always hear about vanguard but it's not available in ireland.
    does anyone know a reliable website where I could invest my money?
    thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

cdlmarie wrote: »
    Hi, I would like to start investing in index funds but I have no idea where to do that.
    I always hear about vanguard but it's not available in ireland.
    does anyone know a reliable website where I could invest my money?
    thanks.

You can buy Vanguard funds on Degiro online stock broker.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭sob1467

I think that Davy is another option, but there are fees for foreign etfs, someone else he may know particulars.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 cdlmarie

Etfs?is it different from index funds?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ftse100

An ETF can represent almost anything. There are indexed ETFs, yes. They may however trade at a premium or discount to NAV.

ETF are exchanged trade funds. They are index funds, but they traded like stocks. They are generally highly liquid and have low fees as they are often funds in tens of billions of euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Rob87

Adding to the OP's question and discussion re Vanguard. As most of us hold our cash in EUR - is there an additional risk investing in asset classes priced in USD vs EUR? i.e.
    VWO - https://personal.vanguard.com/us/FundsSnapshot?FundId=0964&FundIntExt=INT
    VTI - https://personal.vanguard.com/us/FundsSnapshot?FundId=0970&FundIntExt=INT
    There are also options to purchase ETFs priced in EUR i.e. 
    VANGUARD S&P500 (Euronext Amsterdam)
    Sorry for the newb question :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Rob87 wrote: »
    Adding to the OP's question and discussion re Vanguard. As most of us hold our cash in EUR - is there an additional risk investing in asset classes priced in USD vs EUR? i.e.
    VWO - https://personal.vanguard.com/us/FundsSnapshot?FundId=0964&FundIntExt=INT
    VTI - https://personal.vanguard.com/us/FundsSnapshot?FundId=0970&FundIntExt=INT
    There are also options to purchase ETFs priced in EUR i.e. 
    VANGUARD S&P500 (Euronext Amsterdam)
    Sorry for the newb question :)

Yes, exchange rate risk.
    The underlying ETF shares are based in dollars so there is an exposure to fx gains/losses regarding both dividends and capital.

Thanks. Given the dollars current strength vs the euro does that make hedged EFTs a more conservative investment? Assuming that most of us in Ireland are investing with Euro

• Registered Users Posts: 33 StGriffen

Have a look at this before you start investing:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/about/publications/exchange-traded-funds-guidance-note.pdf

The taxation of funds (and ETFs treated a such) is very complicated. Taxation of normal companies (and ETFs treated as such) is more straightforward.

Yes, exchange rate risk.
    The underlying ETF shares are based in dollars so there is an exposure to fx gains/losses regarding both dividends and capital.

This is wrong - it doesn't matter what currency an ETF is priced in. The S&P 100 in EUR is simply the USD S&P 100 multiplied by the current exchange rate. What determines your currency exposure is the underlying companies exposure to different currencies. For example CRH makes close to half of profit in USD and yet is traded in EUR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ftse100

StGriffen wrote: »
    This is wrong - it doesn't matter what currency an ETF is priced in. The S&P 100 in EUR is simply the USD S&P 100 multiplied by the current exchange rate. What determines your currency exposure is the underlying companies exposure to different currencies. For example CRH makes close to half of profit in USD and yet is traded in EUR.

If you buy a USD ETF and your base currency is EUR of course you are exposed to Exchange rate risk

ftse100 wrote: »
    If you buy a USD ETF and your base currency is EUR of course you are exposed to Exchange rate risk

Indeed. And that exchange risk is not eliminated by buying the EUR version of a USD index. Which is what Rob87 was asking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Does anyone know if you can buy etf through goodbody stockbrokers as they have a base locally

ftse100 wrote: »

Indeed. And that exchange risk is not eliminated by buying the EUR version of a USD index. Which is what Rob87 was asking about.
    And with the dollar currently almost with parity to the Euro this would make it a bad time to invest in USD priced ETFs?
    I was looking at investing the cash I've held in EUR in the same mix as my USD (i'm living in the US right now), assuming all are available through Degiro.
    Current portfolio allocation:
    U.S. Stocks - Vanguard VTI ETF 35%
    Foreign Stocks - Vanguard VEA ETF 22%
    Emerging Markets - Vanguard VWO ETF 17%
    Dividend Stocks - Vanguard VIG ETF 8%
    Natural Resources - State Street XLE ETF 5%
    Municipal Bonds - iShares MUB ETF 13%

If there is a reason why a different mix of ETFs are used by European investors vs US investors then i'd love to hear it.

Have a look at this before you start investing:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/about/publications/exchange-traded-funds-guidance-note.pdf

The taxation of funds (and ETFs treated a such) is very complicated. Taxation of normal companies (and ETFs treated as such) is more straightforward.

This really complicates things for investing in a USA eft in Ireland. Anyone here able to explain, if you were to invest in a US etf, what taxes you'd be liable to pay?

sob1467 wrote: »
    This really complicates things for investing in a USA eft in Ireland. Anyone here able to explain, if you were to invest in a US etf, what taxes you'd be liable to pay?

If you buy a US ETF, you will be liable to income taxes (and I think PRSI and USC) on dividends. Plus CGT on appreciation. But you will have your annual exemption of €1270 with your capital appreciation. If you sell your ETF with a loss, you can carry over the loss to offset a gain. You only pay CGT when you sell.

If you buy an Irish based ETF. You pay income tax on capital appreciation and i think in year 7 you are forced to pay income tax on any appreciation. You cant carry over capitals losses

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

newacc2015 wrote: »
    If you buy a US ETF, you will be liable to income taxes (and I think PRSI and USC) on dividends. Plus CGT on appreciation. But you will have your annual exemption of €1270 with your capital appreciation. If you sell your ETF with a loss, you can carry over the loss to offset a gain. You only pay CGT when you sell.

If you buy an Irish based ETF. You pay income tax on capital appreciation and i think in year 7 you are forced to pay income tax on any appreciation. You cant carry over capitals losses

That is pretty poor advice. You would need to assess each fund individually to assess the tax treatment. You have omitted the whole funds regime where income and gains are taxed at 41%. The Irish brokers will provide a document showing how each fund they invest in should be treated for IT purposes. It is not something I would say you could ascertain without their help. If I was doing it for a client from scratch I would be charging alot.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    That is pretty poor advice. You would need to assess each fund individually to assess the tax treatment. You have omitted the whole funds regime where income and gains are taxed at 41%. The Irish brokers will provide a document showing how each fund they invest in should be treated for IT purposes. It is not something I would say you could ascertain without their help. If I was doing it for a client from scratch I would be charging alot.

Sorry not trying to derail the thread, but 41 percent tax on gains and income is extortion. Factor inflation and small fees into the mix and you are getting very little return for the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

What in his post is incorrect?

From the PDF on the Revenue website it looks ok to me:

US domiciled ETFs are liable for income tax on dividends, CGT on appreciation and can offset; Irish domiciled ETFs are liable for 8 year roll-up, income tax on gains and no roll-up.

That is pretty poor advice. You would need to assess each fund individually to assess the tax treatment. You have omitted the whole funds regime where income and gains are taxed at 41%.

How is my advice "pretty poor"? sob1467 asked about US domiciled funds which are taxed differently to EU domiciled funds ie they are non-UCTIS. An ETF on the NYSE which is domiciled in the US and not regulated under UCTIS is not taxed at 41% for CGT purposes. It is taxed at 33% as a capital gain.

http://www.williamfry.com/newsandinsights/news-article/2015/05/18/revenue-guidance-for-irish-investors-in-exchange-traded-funds

The Irish brokers will provide a document showing how each fund they invest in should be treated for IT purposes. It is not something I would say you could ascertain without their help. If I was doing it for a client from scratch I would be charging alot.

Where are Irish brokers getting this info that laymen can't get? You dont need to be handing bags of money to a tax partner in a big 4 to find out whether or not an ETF is domiciled in the EU or outside the EU or regulated under UCTIS or not. If you are buying a niche ETF which you can't tell if it is UCITS or not(which I find it hard to believe, as each ETF often has a ton of info easily available online), more than likely it is not commonly traded and the ETF expense management fee will eat up so much of your investment returns that it isnt worth it.

The whole point of ETFs is that they are easy to understand, low expense fee and tax favourable. If you are looking an ETF which may not tick all three boxes, more onto the thousands of other ETFs that do(as this info is easily available online).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

newacc2015 wrote: »

I find it very strange that you pat PRSI and USC on anything outside your main employment. Are you sure this is correct?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I find it very strange that you pat PRSI and USC on anything outside your main employment. Are you sure this is correct?

You pay USC and PRSI on most income now (for the last couple of years). An exception would be gains or income from relevant funds which are more similar to DIRT than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭topper_harley2

Tom Dunne wrote: »

Yes. You pay it on rental income,l dividend income, all kinds of income. Unsurprisingly it is income tax rather than "tax on your main employment". Consult the revenue website or the Taxes Consolidation Acts if you are in doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 cdlmarie

thanks you guys for your replied! sorry I didnt post anything sooner but I didnt receive any notification!
    i know that the 41% tax rate also applies when you buy discounted espp ...i think.

Advertisement