Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie build Q's

Options
  • 28-12-2016 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

1. What is your budget? €600-€700

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? General office/accounts package and Gaming (gta5, football manager)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? I have an old 21" monitor and a 32" hdtv I could use

5a. If yes, what size do you need.

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? Both are old TV is 1080i I think

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Mouse Wireless Card DVD drive

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No

8. How can you pay? Bank Transfer Credit Card Laser

9. When are you purchasing? January

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Cork but would give it a go

No experience of anything like this.
    Had been considering buying a PS4 for gaming but can't really justify it as I won't spend that much time on it. Have been using a netbook for farm package and accounts for a few years but it's gone slow. So I've decided to go this way.
    Only other consideration is music files that I moved to an external hard drive (5000 songs maybe).
    I have an Apple wireless keyboard, will I be able to use this? Do I need something to connect it with?
    Could I have it set up to use both monitors? Use TV for gaming and monitor for accounts etc?
    Is the wireless card for connecting to wifi?
    Sorry for all the basic Q's

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Denny_Crane

A PC will be so much better than a console! You can hook up both the monitor and TV no problem at all. Wireless card is for connecting to your Wifi, they're pretty cheap.

Building the PC is easy and this forum is a great resource for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭tilting tim

Thanks, does the wireless keyboard connect the same way or do I have to get something different for Bluetooth

Thanks, does the wireless keyboard connect the same way or do I have to get something different for Bluetooth

I actually dunno I'm afraid. Keyboards are pretty cheap though. There is probably some wee bluetooth USB you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

A keyboard and mouse will have a USB dongle to connect them to the PC. If you are playing online games, making frequent skype calls, having a physical Ethernet connection to the router would give you more stable/faster speeds. If the router is in a different room you can send it through the electricity cables with a powerwall.

tadcan wrote: »
    A keyboard and mouse will have a USB dongle to connect them to the PC. If you are playing online games, making frequent skype calls, having a physical Ethernet connection to the router would give you more stable/faster speeds. If the router is in a different room you can send it through the electricity cables with a powerwall.

Generally but his is an apple one, I assume it's bluetooth and macs have it built in so there may not be a separate one here.

• Advertisement

It's Bluetooth only, nothing else came with it. Rural location so only internet is mobile broadband so wifi is probably all I need

Generally but his is an apple one, I assume it's bluetooth and macs have it built in so there may not be a separate one here.
    Ah I missed that bit. Youtube to the rescue.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/7d7MXH

Am I missing anything?

Prefer to spend £50-100 less, is there anything I can drop down in?

CPU comes with a (crap) cooler.

No need for a Z170 motherboard - you also have a mATX mobo with an ATC case, they will work but you might find an ATX cheaper. Case might be overkill. If you do go the mATX format check sizes.

2x 4 GB for the memory for dual channel operation (faster)

psu, evga do a reasonable unit for about £45.

Ok so I can drop the cooler so,
    Bit lost regards motherboard and case?

• Advertisement

Ok so I can drop the cooler so,
    Bit lost regards motherboard and case?

PSU

H110 board (example)

B170 is the next one up. B170 might be worth it for the high speed M.2 SSDs in the future.

Case (will do the job)

Updated my list

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/jGy8Ps

Definitely better with the budget

Since that motherboard has two ram slots, get a single 8GB stick, which will mean you only have to buy one instead of two sticks to upgrade to 16GB.

Would it be much better to have 16 rather than 8? Worth the extra first day?

Would it be much better to have 16 rather than 8? Worth the extra first day?

About 5% if that of games use it. An SSD for your OS would be a much better buy than 8GB or RAM. There is an argument for single channel 8 GB with only two RAM slots though.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/RNLpD8

Few changes brings it towards my max budget

Am I forgetting anything (as in when I put this all together it will work)

Thanks for all the help btw

You could go a bit cheaper on the motherboard.

tadcan wrote: »
    You could go a bit cheaper on the motherboard.

I'd actually go B150. The M.2 SSD option and 4 DIMM slots is worth the 20 quid or so IMO.

Would I be better with 2x4 rather than 1 8 memory then

• Advertisement

Would I be better with 2x4 rather than 1 8 memory then

With 4 DIMM slots yes as the memory can operate in dual channel mode. What the performance boost is - dunno :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

With 4 DIMM slots yes as the memory can operate in dual channel mode. What the performance boost is - dunno :pac:

Dual Channel provides no tangible benefits in games - a 1-2% boost, or sometimes even reduction, in frame rates.

Grab the cheapest/Gb stick or set you find.

I stand corrected. Right so unless you need a stupidly fast (M.2) SSD vs a very very fast (SATA) SSD you can probably go back to the H110.

One more stupid question, is there an SSD in the motherboard already?

One more stupid question, is there an SSD in the motherboard already?

SSD = Solid State Drive, it's like a very very fast hard drive and will massively speed up your system. Even a 120GB model is worth it for chucking the OS on.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPVbyf

Dropped down in motherboard and price of storage and added ssd, still around £600, this a better system?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Any system with an SSD is automatically better than one without.

So would this be a fairly good build?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPVbyf

Dropped down in motherboard and price of storage and added ssd, still around £600, this a better system?

Looks good, no compatibility issues.

• Advertisement

+1 Looks like a neat system that. For 1080p gaming it's going to fly!

Advertisement