Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is monday a public holiday?

Options
  • 28-12-2016 1:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭

Is monday january 2nd 2017 a public holiday or is it all as normal that day.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Yes it is a public holiday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭midnight city

It is for us but you have to go to work i'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Google doesnt seem to think so?

Google doesnt seem to think so?

It's definitely a public holiday

I was lookong at another site and no mention of it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

It's a double holiday in Kazakhstan apparently, lucky bastards

https://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

Yes and no. Officially the public holiday is January 1. The convention is that for the vast majority of people get the next working day off but technically it's not a public holiday

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/public_holidays_in_ireland.html

Public holidays falling on a weekend
    Where a public holiday falls on a weekend, you do not have any automatic legal entitlement to have the next working day off work. This will occur in 2016 when Christmas Day (25 December) and New Year's Day (1 January) will fall on a Sunday. This means that Tuesday 27 December 2016 and Monday 2 January 2017 are not public holidays. Your employer can require you to attend work on those days. When this happens you are entitled to one of the following (unless you are a part-time employee – see above):

A paid day off within a month of the public holiday
    An additional day of annual leave
    An additional day's pay

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

With Public holidays , Bank Holidays and National Holidays , its easy get confused .

Last night was typical example , with the guards going around putting everyone out of pubs at 11.30pm.

Any Stephens Night I was out drinking the pubs were always open till 12.30. until last night it was 11.30

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Meteoric

See here, http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/public_holidays_in_ireland.html so they don't have to give you Monday but have to give you an alternate day within the month or other day so lots of employers will just give the Monday off (relevant bit is at the bottom of the link)

Ill just have to ask the boss at work in morning its a real vague one:/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Meteoric

Ill just have to ask the boss at work in morning its a real vague one:/
    yep, it was taken as a given where I work but citizens information is usually correct I find. Sorry not to be more help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

With Public holidays , Bank Holidays and National Holidays , its easy get confused .

Last night was typical example , with the guards going around putting everyone out of pubs at 11.30pm.

Any Stephens Night I was out drinking the pubs were always open till 12.30. until last night it was 11.30

Which means next Sunday, even though 2nd is a public holiday, pubs will probably close at 11pm....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Don't heed the trolls OP, it definitely isn't a holiday.

me_irl wrote: »
    Don't heed the trolls OP, it definitely isn't a holiday.

Come out from underneath that bridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Come out from underneath that bridge

You first. :pac:

me_irl wrote: »
    You first. :pac:

It is hard to know who is trolling who on this thread its like inception trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

I was told today from my employer that Monday is a bank holiday however im not sure if ill be getting extra pay for working both sunday and monday or just monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Which means next Sunday, even though 2nd is a public holiday, pubs will probably close at 11pm....

Where a Sunday is followed by a Public Holiday, pub closing times are 12:30AM unless that Public Holiday is Christmas Day.

With Public holidays , Bank Holidays and National Holidays , its easy get confused.

Weekday hours are until 11:30PM. The only exception is March 17th; no other Public Holiday has any extension provided for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭kuang1

So does anyone know if banks are open today?

Where a Sunday is followed by a Public Holiday, pub closing times are 12:30AM unless that Public Holiday is Christmas Day.

Weekday hours are until 11:30PM. The only exception is March 17th; no other Public Holiday has any extension provided for.

Doesn't count though, the 1st is the public holiday, the 2nd is just the day it's observed.

Closing time is 11pm on New year's day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

kuang1 wrote: »
    So does anyone know if banks are open today?

No, today is a Bank holiday. Banks reopen tomorrow.

Gyalist wrote: »
    No, today is a Bank holiday. Banks reopen tomorrow.

I understand why they were closed yesterday, as Christmas day was Sunday. But why today also? Or is it akin to some companies shutting shop for x number of days over Christmas?
    Not complaining just curious!

kuang1 wrote: »
    I understand why they were closed yesterday, as Christmas day was Sunday. But why today also? Or is it akin to some companies shutting shop for x number of days over Christmas?
    Not complaining just curious!

The holiday entitlement for banks at Christmas is Christmas Day, St. Stephen's Day and the next working day. If any fall on a weekend an extra day is given in lieu.

Zaph wrote: »
    The holiday entitlement for banks at Christmas is Christmas Day, St. Stephen's Day and the next working day. If any fall on a weekend an extra day is given in lieu.

Gotcha. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Doesn't count though, the 1st is the public holiday, the 2nd is just the day it's observed.

Closing time is 11pm on New year's day

In law yes but in practice most pubs will reflect the 12:30 curfew :)

In law yes but in practice most pubs will reflect the 12:30 curfew :)

Unless they're done. As it's 11pm closing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Zaph wrote: »

So today must be the day in lieu . I'm working today . wish i worked in a bank .

So today must be the day in lieu . I'm working today . wish i worked in a bank .

Well I know people who work in banks who are working today. The retail side of things stays closed, but for those working in commercial banking or money markets the financial markets actually re-opened yesterday and in most other countries the staff would have been back then.

Advertisement