Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Migrate to Aus at 39/40

Options
  • 27-12-2016 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I am considering moving to Australia on a permanent migration visa, I am a single 38 year old guy that's living the same boring life since I was 21. I don't have a mortgage or dependents and I don't have a big community of friends or family . I don't have this big tie to Ireland. The only family I have is my parents and 1 brother and 2 sisters and whilst we get on it could be months between visits back home. I also have another brother living in Melbourne. My main issue about moving is I'm pushing on(38) and Ill be 39/40 before I get the visa , I also have a permanent job here in Ireland. I have a degree in science and whilst I have a decent job working in a lab my development over the years hasn't been the best. The pay also in this profession in Australia doesn't pay as well as other careers such as IT Business or Construction, 60-70k is what I'm looking at over there . Would appreciate some advice, a move from my current job to somewhere else in Ireland is the other option I'm considering

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I can't help but wonder are you running away from your problems? You've got a degree in science yet your career and life appear to have stagnated. What do you think will change if you go to Australia? You also mention right at the end that you'd also be prepared to move elsewhere in the country. This is a very different option to upping sticks and moving to the other side of the world.

So why do you want to move to Australia? Other than your current dissatisfaction with your situation? I'm sure there will be people who will sing the praises of Australia and encourage you to move. On the other side of the coin, have a big think about this. How important are your parents and family to you? Are you OK with missing family occasions or not seeing your parents before they die. Sorry for being so melodramatic but I'm throwing the reality of it out there for you to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

This thread is very familiar. Haven't you posted several other threads over the past year or so about this very subject? Why do you think this thread will help you make up your mind more than all the other pages of advice you have received?

tbh, if you really, really wanted to go you would have at least applied for the visa by now, giving you plenty of time to confirm mentally and emotionally whether it's what you really want, and then continuing with the application or not.

Maybe you just need to move to a different city. If memory serves, you're in Waterford, but talked about moving to Cork or Dublin. Maybe start there. This amount of dithering about Australia would indicate to me that you're not really convinced it's what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Why do you think your life will be any better in Australia? What would you like to improve and why do you think you can't do that here?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭batistuta9

They're not going on a WHV.

OP if you're happy with the wages/prospects/life style in OZ, go for it. Ireland will still be here if you don't like it out there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

A working holiday visa for OZ can only be applied for before the age of 30. Now I am sure there are other options but its not as easy as just up and moving, as far as I know anyway!

I think that's up to 35 now. ....still no use to the op mind

I'd say go for it. ....if it's what you want to do?

You've no ties/mortgage I assume??....if you hate....a day and half will see you home

Maybe go on a six week tourist visa first to scope it out??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Tourist visa is 90 days. However some working visas can only be applied for outside Australia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

As suggested by another poster, can you list the reasons why you want to move to AUS, OP? Just wondering what your primary reasons are. Have you ever lived abroad before?

I have a friend who is in a similar position to yourself and she is citing the fact that things are going to be pretty grim in Ireland for the next five-ten years, coupled with the fact that she is going to find it very hard to buy a home within that time frame here, even with the well paid, full time, permanent job that she has. She is planning on moving to the USA and she is also well aware of and looking forward to the change in lifestyle that she is going to experience. I think working abroad for a few years, if you are in a similar boat, is a good idea. However, adapting to life in the likes of USA or AUS, in your case, takes time and the first six months or so will be very challenging. I am saying that from personal experience in the USA!

She has a working visa for the USA. Not sure what you want me to say about setting up in the USA. I'm just back from a stint there and nobody mentioned anything about the election to me.

• Advertisement

Sorry, thought you were talking about Trump politics. Moving there isn't impossible. You can go there via a work visa or the 'Diversity Visa Program' (green card) draw which is held every year. If you are going down the green card route, make sure you apply via the travel.state.gov site. Applications are taken in October for that.

Advertisement