Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing gamertag

Options
  • 27-12-2016 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

Happy Christmas All!

Long time PS4 player *cough* - got a new Xbox One S. - Delighted with it!

Silly question! - I had an old Microsoft account with my Xbox 360 but my son put the name on the Xbox account.

I logged into the account on my PC just now and in trying to change the account name, it would appear Microsoft are looking to charge me €10 for a "gamertag change"!!

Am I missing something or is this the case...??

Just want to add my own nickname to the Xbox account...

Also... will any old 360 game disc run on the xbox one? Does the console upscale the older games any?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,957 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

sticker wrote: »
    Happy Christmas All!

Silly question! - I had an old Microsoft account with my Xbox 360 but my son put the name on the Xbox account.

I logged into the account on my PC just now and in trying to change the account name, it would appear Microsoft are looking to charge me €10 for a "gamertag change"!!

Also... will any old 360 game disc run on the xbox one? Does the console upscale the older games any?

Thanks

Did your son create a new account and sign into the One S?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Happy Christmas All!

Thanks

Yeah, it costs to change the Gamertag if you've already set one.

Not every disk will work, you can check the list of Back Compatible games here. Be aware that it just uses the disk as a "license check", and it'll trigger the download of the BC version.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

CatInABox wrote: »
    Yeah, it costs to change the Gamertag if you've already set one.

Not every disk will work, you can check the list of Back Compatible games here. Be aware that it just uses the disk as a "license check", and it'll trigger the download of the BC version.

Thanks for reply.

That's crazy... it was set on a new 360 so a good few years ago. To charge a tenner to change the name is pretty extortionate I feel.

Thanks for reply.

That's crazy... it was set on a new 360 so a good few years ago. To charge a tenner to change the name is pretty extortionate I feel.

OP has your son set up a new account on the One S? If he has you can just sign in with your old 360 Gamertag on the One S as well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Thanks for reply.

I believe it's meant to discourage problem users from causing chaos with one account, then swapping account to "dodge" people trying to report them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭dunworth1

I believe it's meant to discourage problem users from causing chaos with one account, then swapping account to "dodge" people trying to report them.

agreed at least it's actually possible on an xbox with a psn id you are stuck with it

emmetkenny wrote: »
    OP has your son set up a new account on the One S? If he has you can just sign in with your old 360 Gamertag on the One S as well.

No... signed into new one with old profile that my son named.

To other poster, I believe you can renamenjoy your psn account if you wish...

Oh your son chose the Gamertag on the 360? Can you not create a new account for yourself and pick your on GT then?

Off topic... any idea why I can't buy red dead redemption Xbox360 on xbox store on the system but dark souls 1 and orange box are listed as backwards compatible but unavailable...

Off topic... any idea why I can't buy red dead redemption Xbox360 on xbox store on the system but dark souls 1 and orange box are listed as backwards compatible but unavailable...

I'm not beside the One now but can you not log into Xbox.com and buy?

• Advertisement

Huh, after seeing this, I had to check. Turns out that you can get your username changed, but only with a support call, and you'll lose all your trophies and friends and stuff. They're essentially creating a new account and transferring all your purchases across. Madness.

I'm not beside the One now but can you not log into Xbox.com and buy?

Are you trying to buy from the right region?

Not me.

Not me.

More of a follow on question to yours, emmetkenny.

I'm buying from the store on the new console itself. I've put in my region at setup so no reason why I could not buy on the store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

Happy Christmas All!

Thanks

It sounds like your son setup a new account. If so you can just login with your old 360 account separate to your sons.

Or are you saying he change the name on your 360 account? That might explain why you are being charged. You get one free name change so it must have been changed already.

qrx wrote: »
    It sounds like your son setup a new account. If so you can just login with your old 360 account separate to your sons.

Or are you saying he change the name on your 360 account? That might explain why you are being charged. You get one free name change so it must have been changed already.

I think he changed my profile name... I'll leave it as is, just thought it quite a cheek to charge for a one off rename...

I think he changed my profile name... I'll leave it as is, just thought it quite a cheek to charge for a one off rename...

Ha, it's amazing what we get used to, I remember when everyone thought Microsoft were cheeky asking us to pay for Xbox Live.

But if your son changed the name already you did get a free name change :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

It might be worth chatting to support online and see if they'll give you a free change. Their support is excellent. Especially as it involves a child making system changes. It's worth a shot, will take 10-15 mins of your time.

I'd also recommend a separate account for your son. He can still play all your games an vice versa.

• Advertisement

qrx wrote: »
    It might be worth chatting to support online and see if they'll give you a free change. Their support is excellent. Especially as it involves a child making system changes. It's worth a shot, will take 10-15 mins of your time.

I'd also recommend a separate account for your son. He can still play all your games an vice versa.

Good idea thanks!

Advertisement