Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microamp recommendations

Options
  • 27-12-2016 4:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭

Hey all

Have never really used small amps before, always used stacks..

Looking to pick up one of them small portable little fellas for doodling on the go, maybe run laptop into it...

Was looking at Orange Micro crushes etc..... But have no idea of what will be good.

Been looking here https://m.thomann.de/ie/battery_operated_amplifiers.html?s=price

Now I don't really care about the battery operated too much as I won't be outside.

. Anyone use any of these little amps?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

The Blackstar Fly seems to get the best reviews.
    https://m.thomann.de/ie/blackstar_fly_3_mini_amp.htm?o=9&search=1482854852

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

There's a huge range.

What's your price range and how big can it be or how small must it be?

If you want a tiny one go with the Blackstar, if something bigger maybe go with something like the Vox mini3 g2 or Line6 spider, they have a range of effects built in.

Personally I dont play without a few basic effects, so it's handy to have effects in the amp rather than having to bring effects to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

To be fair, the Line 6 Spider is one of the worst amps I've ever heard and seems to get worse with every generation. :L

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

I have the Yamaha THR10....love it but it's a tad expensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F87LJ9rv9d8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F87LJ9rv9d8

Damn you fingers, Suddenly i want to spend a lot more money and get one of these!:P

• Advertisement

Zombienosh wrote: »
    Damn you fingers, Suddenly i want to spend a lot more money and get one of these!:P

Sorry :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I've been looking for a battery powered amp for weekend travel use, and I came across the THR10 on Thomann yesterday, then remembered that it had been mentioned here too. I'm a 100% living room player, and it looks like it would not only do me as a travel amp, but replace my Vox VT20x at home too. I'm a bit stuck for space, and my wife would appreciate the retro aesthetics of the THR10 on the bookshelf, rather than the black monolith on the floor.

Have you tried a bass though it? I see it has a bass channel, and I've seen a couple of videos where it seems to work well for quiet home use, which is all I need it for.

bass sounds great through it also :)

I took the plunge and bought the yamaha. Delivered last night, so far loving it.

Picked up a THR10 too. Haven't had the chance to mess with it much, but it seems perfect for my current living room setup.

You should probably tap Yamaha for some commission, Fingers ;)

32552364475_a37cf2ef81_z.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Some nice retro synergy going in there!

The pseudo-valve orange glow has come in for some derision on some forums, but along with the retro look and the small size, it helped ease this €300 purchase past the guardian of the living room :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

phutyle wrote: »
    The pseudo-valve orange glow has come in for some derision on some forums, but along with the retro look and the small size, it helped ease this €300 purchase past the guardian of the living room :D

This is great.

"The guardian of the living room" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

That Yamaha THR10 is too expensive for me.

All those other micro amps even the fly don't do heavier distortion that well. Though I've seen some videos using a od pedal with the fly that seems ok.

Also the fly with AC adapter and a pedal and I'm in the range of a regular amp at least 2nd hand Like a Core ID10. Though the issues with id range worry me.

Maybe the portability of the fly is the killer feature though.

I was looking at the black star fly before I was tempted by the Yamaha. I wanted something small but with decent distortion too so once I heard the THR I was sold.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

beauf wrote: »
    That Yamaha THR10 is too expensive for me.

All those other micro amps even the fly don't do heavier distortion that well. Though I've seen some videos using a od pedal with the fly that seems ok.

Also the fly with AC adapter and a pedal and I'm in the range of a regular amp at least 2nd hand Like a Core ID10. Though the issues with id range worry me.

Maybe the portability of the fly is the killer feature though.

I have the Fly and Marshall MS2.

If you use any effects, particularly multi, the Marshall is very good.

€26 from Thomann plus p&p.

The distortion on both is mild enough but are ok with effects and leaving it switched to clean.

On its own, without any (multi) effects the Fly is better, because of the delay.

Think of how dry everything sounds if there's absolutely no delay or reverb, that's the Marshall.

Advertisement